This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook and BKforum linked any way???

I had a freaky thing happen yesterday. I was deleting some applications on my facebook account (just games and stuff), and there was actually an application called bkforum.com listed under my applications. Any clue????? Really made me nervous like someone hacked in somehow from this website and could now see my real identity.

Anyone else have that listed under their applications? It's really kind of an unsettling feeling.
    Last edited by ssmdem; 05-11-2010, 03:57 AM.
    04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

They're not automatically connected - but if you've ever 'logged in thru Facebook', or something like that, then yes you have connected them. I did the same - but changed the permissions so nothing is posted from BKForum on my FB page.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Nothing was actually posted on my FB page - it was just listed under application settings - never would have noticed it if I hadn't gone in there to uninstall Fishville I still don't really get how it was there though. I have had both websites open simultaneously before - but different windows. Just weird!

Oh well, even if it was somehow hacked, they'd be bored with my FB page! Just a typical Mom bragging about her kids!
      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

What you are dealing with is called a 'tracking cookie'. Everywhere you go on the Internet, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Bkforum, or anything else, you leave and collect a little text file called a 'cookie'. This so that the next time you go to that site, it 'remembers' you and your preferences. Whenever you sign in to Amazon, and a list of recommended items comes up, the cookie is remembering what you looked at and purchased before, and so can generate that list. You can turn that feature off in your browser settings, but then whenever you go to some sites, you will get the messaage: "you must have cookies enabled", or language to that effect. This is usually not anything to worry about.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I understand cookies - this was different. It was listed as an application on my facebook account. Applications you have to approve on facebook for them to be installed - nothing ever popped up asking me. I visit SEVERAL websites daily - this was the only one that was listed as an application. Applications that you approve on facebook you're giving them authorization to see your facebook account, your friends, profile, etc. Just very weird - I deleted it, but I still don't really get how it got authorized in the first place.

Comment

Have you ever clicked the 'login with Facebook' option on BKforum? If you now have it set to remember you, you won't see it... If you log out, you should. I think its just an alternate way of starting/confirming an account instead of doing a confirmation link thru email.

Correction: I just logged out and checked, it says Connect with Facebook.
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo

Comment

There is a add on module to the forum that allows you to use your facebook login to create an account here - maybe you used it?

Comment

Well, I don't have a Facebook account so I really can't comment further.
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                  Have you ever clicked the 'login with Facebook' option on BKforum? If you now have it set to remember you, you won't see it... If you log out, you should. I think its just an alternate way of starting/confirming an account instead of doing a confirmation link thru email.

Correction: I just logged out and checked, it says Connect with Facebook.

AHA!!! I bet that's it. I just logged out too and saw that. No, didn't knowingly click it, but I can't say I didn't click it by accident when signing on. I have clicked "Remember Me" so I don't have to sign in everytime here, so no telling when I did that and how long it's been there.

Oh well - that makes sense now. I didn't know what you meant earlier when you said "Log in through Facebook" Makes total sense now! Thanks!

Comment

GRR!!! Just looked, and it's back on the application list again??? How do I stop it from doing that? It's not posting anything on my facebook wall but why does it keep connecting the two?

Comment

When you first created your BKForum login, if you did it by 'connecting with FB' instead of signing up w/ an email address: that may be why. If I'm right (just a theory) then each time you login to BKF then it uses your Facebook account to verify your identity.

If you stay logged in to BKF, and remove it as an app from FB, it may stay gone?

You could always look into creating an account at BKF from scratch, re-registering?

Comment

I just went to my FB and noticed it too. Pretty sneaky.. I am an avid computer user and am a nut about security.. It got me.. thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                          When you first created your BKForum login, if you did it by 'connecting with FB' instead of signing up w/ an email address: that may be why. If I'm right (just a theory) then each time you login to BKF then it uses your Facebook account to verify your identity.

If you stay logged in to BKF, and remove it as an app from FB, it may stay gone?

You could always look into creating an account at BKF from scratch, re-registering?

But I didn't -- didn't even know that was an option until today. That's what is so weird. I even use a different email address for this account than I do for my facebook account. I just registered as a new user when I found this site - confirmed with the link sent to my email - and here I am. Didn't know it had anything to do with facebook at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                            I just went to my FB and noticed it too. Pretty sneaky.. I am an avid computer user and am a nut about security.. It got me.. thanks for posting.
                            You're welcome - but now if I can only figure out how to make it STOP reinstalling it!!

Comment

I went to my Facebook and it was there also, so I deleted it. Thank you for posting and letting us know.
                              Filed Non-Consumer Chapter 7: 07/31/2009
                              341 Hearing: 09/03/2009
                              Last Day for Creditor's Objections: 11/02/2009
                              Discharged! 11/03/2009 CLOSED! 01/05/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X