BKF new feature - Experience for points/levels/ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BKF new feature - Experience for points/levels/ratings

Wow, a message from the Chief himself. Thanks for the efforts getting the new board back to normal.

Laz, can you explain or point us to the explanation of the new Points and Level ratings sometime? You are the point leader here, does the owner get a big bonus?
    “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Hi mm ya unfortunately I don't post in public sections as often as I'd like.... partly because nowadays we have so many knowledgeable members ready to answer every question. I'm primarily concerned with the technical side of BKF.

The new Points and Level ratings is a new feature which calculates activity and experience score for every user based on their activities on the forum. Until now we were judging member activity solely based on the post count. However, there are many other parameters which define valuable members. Are the postings the user creates helpful? Are his/her threads frequently read? Does the user participate on the community by posting pictures, attachments, leaving visitor messages, tagging threads? How can the user's activity be compared to others? Those are some of the things this new feature tries to tackle. There are also some fun things user get such as awards and achievements.
    www.BankruptcyForum.com

Comment

Laz:

In all due respect I disagree with your graphs. Many times we who have good advice, but also posts good copy/pastes from elsewhere, may be looked at in the pictorial graph you have inflicted. Then we're passed by when in fact we just may have the key to that person's problem.

It in effect will kill off many posters/lookers who would otherwise read and judge for themselves. You are rating posters who do their best, but then you also are pitting one against another.

I STRONGLY disagree with this "feature". It will kill your forum, IMO. 'Hub

Another observation, is that these 'so-called' "points" now make it a competition for "points" rather than attempts at legitimately helping those who need this aid. I am not here for a "GAME", but here to contribute and pay back to those who helped me through my own hell. This will do nothing for me to come back and "compete" for so called 'Points'. I REALLY feel strongly against this "feature". 'Hub
      Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 09-21-2010, 07:50 PM.
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I don't pay much attention to the points, but I did wonder what it was about. I think it's useful for a few but the masses wouldn't care. I don't see it causing any problems.
        Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

You asked

The new Points and Level ratings is a new feature which calculates activity and experience score for every user based on their activities on the forum. Until now we were judging member activity solely based on the post count. However, there are many other parameters which define valuable members. So some are not valuable and others are?

Are the postings the user creates helpful? Helpful? Who is to decide this? We do our best.

Are his/her threads frequently read? Does the user participate on the community by posting pictures, attachments, leaving visitor messages, tagging threads? How can the user's activity be compared to others? Again, pitting one against another. This is NOT a contest. We who are here to help are those who have been helped. I don't want any prizes other than the feeling of aid to others whom I feel I may have helped.

Those are some of the things this new feature tries to tackle. There are also some fun things user get such as awards and achievements. Drop me out of that idea.
          'Hub
          Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM.
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

AngelinaCatHub:

I hear your concern and appreciate your input about this new feature.

I do think its exaggerating to say it will kill the forum. Anyway, I would like to run it for a month and then will evaluate its effects.

I think it can be a fun thing which may discourage lurking and encourage more contributing.

We'll see.
            www.BankruptcyForum.com

Comment

Hi Laz,

I for one, and many others here, appreciate the work you've put into getting BKF up and running again, as well as maintaining it. That this place is an invaluable source of information and comfort is an understatement. I do however, must say that whereas I don't care much about the ratings themselves, I and others have tried to contribute and provide as much as possible to others here, but seeing that many are not rated, well, does leave a bit of a bitter taste...again, don't really care about the points, just giving you an initial gut reaction from seeing this and combining it with your explanation above. Regardless, thanks for your hard work.
              Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
              AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

ccsjoe, sorry I didn't make it clear. The reason the site is slow today is because in the background I'm running a process which is crunching numbers ... only half the user's info has been processed, thus some don't show any points etc.
                www.BankruptcyForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by laz View Post
                  AngelinaCatHub:

I hear your concern and appreciate your input about this new feature.

I do think its exaggerating to say it will kill the forum. Anyway, I would like to run it for a month and then will evaluate its effects.

I think it can be a fun thing which may discourage lurking and encourage more contributing.

We'll see.
                  Thank you LAZ for your reply. I have been a forum owner, and am a webmaster. I also was the most ignorant of bk participants and do appreciate this site. My site too was affected by what yours was.

Now seriously, It is up to you as owner to do what you wish. The lurkers also click on adds, and you need lurkers. I lurk on some sites as my VW site for already answers as I don't wish to join to see one question answered. Your site has become very famous and I personally advertise this fact to those who need this advice.

You asked for opinions. I as an honest person and wish to be candid, helpful, and honest, view this as a mistake. PLEASE evaluate this for yourself, but I believe you will get many posters who post for points not for helping others. If you DO give away some sort of prize or award, you surely are making a mistake. I post much less than I lurk, as if I do not know, or cannot honestly help, I will not BS a person just for some number you have on the post data.

I have five thousand plus. I couldn't care less if I had five million. I'm not here to waste my time on play. I am here to help another soul, and my advice and/or opinion is to the best of my ability and not to get some points or counts.

That is what I am addressing. If I did not feel so strongly about this, you would not know one who was serious in what those who are appreciative of your site are really about.

Please don't miss this idea of who we are. Many of us stay behind when we no longer need help, in order to give advice, encouragement to newbies, from those who been there, done that.

'Hub
                  Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 09-21-2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

BTW what happened to the pics in my signature? 'Hub

Comment

i also understand the concerns with this type of "rating" system....personally i look TERRIBLE in pastels...secondly, i'm too old and too tired to care what people think of what i say...which i was hoping as ONE of the ONLY advantages of getting older!! (rude old ladies and gents cutting into line...and pushing you out of the way simply due to entitlement based on respect of age itself).

now that that concept for me,has been shattered...i'm concerned now i'll have learned to spell, be on my BEST behavior (NO!!!)....and oh my, my grammar will be scrutinized...

well, i for one have a higher "judge"...(my HOA president) and will not worry about it for the moment...i guess.

in all seriousness, it's uncomfortable and while i do not intimidate easily, many do...especially those that are first timers and are seeking help...they may feel like they are being judged by what they ask or say.

i love this site, will not leave it. and if only ONE of my posts or threads or TYPOS can help hold someone's hand during these terrible economic times, personally, i'm here to stay.

actually, i think this is so well stated i deserve an AWARD!!

ps. thanks laz for all your work and dedication, this site has helped many more than you know!
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Just an opinion:

When you are new on this forum you basically only ASK questions. Later as you get a little more confidence and know a few things, you are tempted to ANSWER a few things, BUT there is still the confidence factor (or lack thereof)...

My concern is that all these "awards and status things and ranking" may actually DISCOURAGE newer people from either answering or engaging in dialogues with more "decorated" folks on the forum.

...could it cause many others to feel they are just not qualified enough to volunteer an opinion?

PS: To Laz, despite the above concerns this is arguably the most valuable forum on the internet, imo.

Comment

well put ryan.....

now would you possibly be interested in becoming my "friend" so i get another award please??LOL!!

i have post that requests already, and so few like me, i'm really going to have a problem getting ANY more "friends". oh well.

i don't care about any of this...i truly believe this site is the most informative and important site thus far dealing with the stresses of bankruptcy. end of story!
                          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                            Just an opinion:

When you are new on this forum you basically only ASK questions. Later as you get a little more confidence and know a few things, you are tempted to ANSWER a few things, BUT there is still the confidence factor (or lack thereof)...

My concern is that all these "awards and status things and ranking" may actually DISCOURAGE newer people from either answering or engaging in dialogues with more "decorated" folks on the forum.

...could it cause many others to feel they are just not qualified enough to volunteer an opinion?

PS: To Laz, despite the above concerns this is arguably the most valuable forum on the internet, imo.
                            +1 - as well as I agree with 'Hub.

Comment

I think the forum should stick to what it's designed to do - that is helping people who truly need help understanding BK. I hope the new features don't change that.

I do look at the new bars and achievements as a popularity contest. But that's my opinion.

I am extremely thankful to everyone who has helped me here.
                              "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X