Rising Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crainial Access View Post
    My first ever job while in High School was at a Full Service Hess Station (fill it up with 101 sir?,,,crisp white uniforms) and gas was 28.9/gallon back in 1972...the price would skyrocket to 32.9 on holiday weekends in the summer and people would be *****in like crazy. Cars would be backed up on the main road. We had to wash all the glass, check all the fluids etc. The minimum wage was $1.85/hr. I'd get my 16 hours of pay and felt like the world was mine............lol
    You know, I'm kinda mechanically-challenged (LOL) and have to FORCE myself to check my car's oil, coolant, transmission fluid, etc. I certainly remember the days you are talking about! I would have my oil, coolant ( think it was just plain water back then!), transmission fluid, even brake fluid checked at each fill-up -- and my tires checked and inflated to the correct pressure to boot. I REALLY miss that!

I often joke with family and friends that the gradual disappearance of full-service stations may be the product of a conspiracy between oil companies and automakers. With self-service, maintenance checks disappeared, hence people like me (!) neglected their vehicles, then the vehicles "died" of course, and we ended up having to go and buy new ones? Just what the automakers would want, huh? It's a joke on my part, folks. But I have a feeling auto mechanics would agree with me that the disappearance of full-service stations contributed to more auto "deaths".

But I still remember a day in 1976 when I told the guy at the Shell station... "fill it up, check all fluids, check my tires and make sure they're properly inflated... we're going to Fort Myers Beach for the weekend!" And bingo, my car was ready to go. It was our first of many, many trips to Fort Myers Beach.
    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

My brother used to manage one of the busiest Standard Oil stations in northern California. It was a full service 24 hour station and he had about 20 attendants working for him, pumping gas, checking oil etc, and gas was well under $1.00. A similar station today has about 8 employees that don’t pump gas or assist at the pumps in any way. They sell snacks, sodas, and beer and gas is $3.99. Go figure.
      Filed Chap 7 : 9/11/2007
      341 Meeting : 10/10/2007
      Deadline for objections: 12/10/2007 Discharged 12/11/07 Closed 12/14/07

Comment

I just read that Saudi Arabia rejected Bush's plea to increase oil production...Bush already ruined the U.S.'s relation with major oil companies in South America too. It will be interesting to see if fuel prices ever drop. At this rate the U.S. economy will "collapse" before we know it.
        The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

People are still driving a lot here.

I put 15.5 gallons of gas in my SUV, it was 66.50$.

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
          I noticed more people on the bus today....

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
            People are still driving a lot here.

I put 15.5 gallons of gas in my SUV, it was 66.50$.
            The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

What sucks recently is that I working and driving "door to door" is a big part of the job. I get $0.44 a mile. Feels like big whoop compared to getting 19mpg for my guzzler.

The other day, I saw a gas station at $3.97. Just down the road was a station that didn't change prices yet and was still $3.79. I pulled over to fill up even though I was only able to fill up half a tank.

How sad that our mindsets have become numb and feel that $3.79 is a bargain...lol

Comment

twuoo

For 2008 the IRS allows 50.5 cents per mile. Still low in comparison but who ever is alowing you 44 cents is below the standard. My work also requires driving so I know how you feel.
                Filed Chap 7 : 9/11/2007
                341 Meeting : 10/10/2007
                Deadline for objections: 12/10/2007 Discharged 12/11/07 Closed 12/14/07

Comment

We've pretty much hit $3.80 for regular unleaded in my area...(sigh)

Comment

I would be in heaven at 3.80$ for regular unleaded(which DH uses for his truck/huge tank). I think our regular unleaded is 4.39$ now.

Originally posted by HRx View Post
                    We've pretty much hit $3.80 for regular unleaded in my area...(sigh)

Comment

I would be in heaven at 3.80$ for regular unleaded(which DH uses for his truck/huge tank). I think our regular unleaded is 4.39$ now.
                      Folks in Cali are getting fleeced to the bone!

Comment

I have been back in CA for 5 yrs now and gas has been high the whole time I've been here. I guess we just get used to it and go on.

Where do you live?

Folks in Cali are getting fleeced to the bone!

Comment

I also read that there's has been a significant increase in homeless people in California...specifically women. I'm in Massachusetts...

Comment

$3.79 where I am located. I almost wet my self yesterday because I found a gas station where unleaded gas was $3.69.
                            sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I go to Massachusetts often. I have some good friends in Newton and Boston.

I didn't hear that about homeless increasing. I do see a few homeless around the malls, but they have all been guys.

I also read that there's has been a significant increase in homeless people in California...specifically women. I'm in Massachusetts...

Comment

I go to Massachusetts often. I have some good friends in Newton and Boston.

I didn't hear that about homeless increasing. I do see a few homeless around the malls, but they have all been guys.
                                It was a major article about the spike in homelessness with women in California. It spoke about how many of them live in thier cars with thier pets and such. Many stay in homeless parking lots from 7pm - 7am. Verying interesting yet sad article.

Newton is a nice town...I used to work of Washington Street at the "circle of death" lol

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X