top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BK13 Related Documents - Which Ones to Save and Shred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question BK13 Related Documents - Which Ones to Save and Shred?

My husband and I are paring down our considerable load of Bk13 -era documentation.
    Which forms do we still need to keep 2 years post-bankruptcy, apart from our filing info with all creditors listed and our discharge and closing papers?
    We are planning on shredding all extinct CC account info.
    Thank you all in advance!

Usually 7 years for most financial documents, right? I don't think that there is much to keep after 1-year post-discharge of a Chapter 13 (year 9 after filing). Maybe someone else has a good schedule to use? Revocation of discharge is time-barred, I believe, after one-year post discharge or close, whichever is later.

I would certainly keep the creditor list and the Order of Discharge since those are important in case you get some "Zombie" debt.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks justbroke !
      Seeing all those ancient $$$$$ balance statements with added late fees, notices of cancelled CCs, etc. before the shredder eviscerated them, made me appreciate anew our current status as nearly debt-free (i.e. Except for one auto loan) consumers vs. stressed debtors!
      Instead of struggling to survive each month on our court ordered payment plan budget, we now can pay our monthly bills in full, CC and otherwise, and look ahead to taking a still unplanned trip later this year or next without the miserable dread of crushing debt.
      There is real life after BK13, and we are the living proof!

Comment

Sounds like you're making some smart moves to declutter that Bk13 paperwork. From what I've gathered, it's usually safe to shred any documentation related to extinct CC accounts after a couple of years post-bankruptcy.

As for what to keep, I'd hang onto your filing info with all creditors listed, along with your discharge and closing papers. Those are the real MVPs when it comes to post-bankruptcy paperwork.

I did come across one source while browsing about fake id websites and how to get one. Anyway, hope this helps with your document purge - less clutter, more peace of mind!

Comment

Oh my I was shredding so much CC stuff before we even filed! I do have a list of all the creditors and their addresses. I still have the paperwork we brought to the attorney when we filed, the paperwork from the 341 meeting and then anything I received in the mail after that. I still have the letters from the court when we were being sued by CC before we filed. I got rid of any extraeous papers and have all this stuff in a box in the basement because I never want to see it unless I have to look at it!

Congrats Barbisi and Zombie13 hitting the two year mark. I can't believe my two year mark is coming up in a few months. The post years sure move faster than the BK13 years.
          I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Carmella thanks! Yes, the years do go by faster post-bk for sure. Your 2 year is is coming up soon too, congratulations! I started shredding the stuff then said, 'hey Barbisi - you wanna do this?' to which she happily agreed. She got a lot of satisfaction out of shredding all the old credit card statements.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X