top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone blown away by how expensive cars are these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone blown away by how expensive cars are these days?

Doesn't matter - new or used - they are ridiculously priced.

Yeah, I kind of have an itch for a Porsche 718 Cayman S, but fully optioned out it stickers out at about $85,000. Annoying.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

I don't think I could ever buy the high end cars because the price is so ridiculous. I was never into luxury vehicles anyway. To me it's transportation not a status.

But all cars are very expensive for sure. I understand used cars are even more expensive now due to demand after the pandemic and parts not easily available.
      I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Carmella, one mistake many folks make when thinking about why someone would buy a high end car is the concept of "status"; while I'm sure some individuals do in fact buy them for status, others, myself included, buy them to D-R-I-V-E! In the next year or two, if/when I buy something like a Golf-R or maybe a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, it will be both for enjoyable drives through the mountains and some occasional track work. Better still, cars like this tend to keep their value over time, and often get to the point where used, they fetch more money than new.
        Latent car nut.

Comment

I just want to add, that in the snow, @Barbisi's 2005 Sentra is a Beast! I love it... I know exactly how it's going to respond. My 2013 Sentra on the other hand, appears to be 'mentally challenged' in the snow. I just turn off the 'safety features' useless trash since they suck soooo baaaaad... and of course regret not driving the '05 spawned from snowmageddon. ... and yes, in a different state/climate, we won't need a snowmonger, I know, I know. But I still love that '05! Maybe we should ditch the '13. Yknow... number 13 and all, heh.
          Last edited by Zombie13; 01-25-2022, 06:52 PM.

Comment

As you know, I'm a fan of older cars; still driving my 2006. It might cost a bit to give the 2005 a refresh, but then you'll have a car, payment free, which should last a number of years with minimal maintenance.
            Latent car nut.

Comment

Yep. We are at odds on the car though. Question is, would it be worth transporting the vehicle to another state, when we leave CO? Barbisi does not want to drive it, if given the opportunity, and I understand that. We have replaced the passenger visor 3 times which is really annoying. At this point we ended up purchasing a driver side visor and reversing it. We are seeing areas of rust, and the paint is peeling off significantly so it may just be a matter of time. I've offered to switch cars with her if necessary, but it would also be nice to have a newer vehicle. We have strongly considered this scenario: sell the house, use some proceeds as a down payment (or full purchase) of a vehicle, and use that to drive to another state. But, we have to look at prices, not looking forward to that. We have been focusing on packing first though, first priority.
              Ah - also: no mechanic has figured this out: it doesn't start quickly, hasn't for years, even after replacing the starter and other 'starting' hardware more than once. I have to turn on the AC, get the blower going, then it starts more quickly.

Comment

To me, the rust and paint issues are the killers; everything else should be fixable.

Given the condition of the body, you may well be best off with something else new(er); keep us posted.
                Latent car nut.

Comment

Zombie13 I don't think it will surprise anyone, but I am in the buy a new /new to you car camp! Use some of the proceeds and buy a reliable car that you can drive with enjoyment to your new destination. Live it up! I don't me to be outrageous, but get a good reliable car because you most likely will need it sooner than later.
                  I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Thanks shipo . how about "Krylon" spray paint? LOL!! Or a rust inhibitor? I do realize we will need to replace the vehicle but yeah not fond of spending money. However. A replacement vehicle loan could be considered beneficial, as we've read on these forums. It would count as one loan, for rebuilding credit. That's why I would like to avoid paying 100% cash for a car. But, of course we need to do the best we can to get a decent interest rate.

Carmella - yep! Right there with you! I am glad to hear you have achieved the first replacement vehicle. Sounds like you are planning a 2nd, and it makes sense - I hope you get it, and get some stress off the marriage. It is very difficult with two working people, using one car. Coordinating schedules, trips, etc. is an additional undue stressor.
                    And yes, it will be good to have a reliable vehicle that doesn't have noises, and 'things you feel' that remind us constantly that 'something isn't right' LOL!

RE: "the blue beast": the interior door handle appears to have a big crack in it, so when I open the door, I carefully use that handle but also use the good ol' shoulder-push to assist. The driver seat's back support also seems to have 'failed' on the left side, so we sit oddly. I guess I could jam a 2x4 behind it for support. not really. Anyway. It's a little bad*ss car but still.
                    Last edited by Zombie13; 01-28-2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

So, Barbisi asked me a very good question shipo : why are rust and paint/body issues a bigger problem/concern?

Comment

At least around here, once rust starts, it doesn't stop, even when a body shop cuts out the affected spot, welds in new metal, and paints it, the rust will just keep on coming. Also, depending upon the state, if you have a rust hole anywhere in the body, you will not pass inspection even if the car is 100% mechanically.
                        Latent car nut.

Comment

Ah ok. So I see some small areas of rust. But, I suspect, if I see a small area, there are other larger areas I do not see.
                          Colorado only does emissions testing; at least, as far as I know. They may flag the rust as a problem at the next inspection. Washington state, I do not know about, but that could be a deal breaker. It would be a shame to pay to transport this vehicle there, only to find out, it would not pass inspection due to rust. So, it may be a good idea to sell it here in Colorado, when the time comes. Our realtor already expressed interest in buying it, though they may do an inspection as well, and end up with the same problem. We'll see. Thank you sir!
                          Last edited by Zombie13; 01-28-2022, 05:42 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X