My credit card experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My credit card experience

We needed a snowblower and I ordered one online from Home Depot. As I was about to use my Ollo card I had a message save $100 with Home Depot credit card. I applied for it expecting an immediate response, got a message that I would find out within 5 days. I then used my Ollo card.

I was declined the Home Depot credit card. I did a bit of research and Citibank is the bank for Home Depot card. After seeing that I am not surprised I was denied the card. My research also indicated this was a "hard pull" for the credit check which I believe isn't great when you are trying to rebuild your credit. I really wish I didn't fall for the bait of saving $100 and 6 months same as cash.

Now I wonder what will happen if I go to Menards and try to get their card for purchasing a Washer and Dryer. I think Menards uses Capitol One which I have read is more forgiving, but I don't know if that's the cash with the Menard's store card as well.

I feel like it will be a while before we get a washer and dryer and we will have to save up hard cold cash.
    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

One hard pull won't really hurt you; just spend them judiciously. In my case I was stupid when I first got my discharge and racked up something like 18 hard pulls in the first 9 months; that hurt me a bit, but a year later all was forgiven from a FICO score perspective, and a year after that, all of the hard pulls fell off my credit reports.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Carmella , that sounds a lot like my (so far) singular credit card application misstep - applying on-line for a CU CC which sent an invitation email. I didn't check who the issuing bank was (Elan is or was a subsidiary of USBank, both of which were owed money in our BK13 proceedings, but Elan never submitted a claim while US Bank did, and they were included as a creditor in our now discharged and closed bankruptcy.) so, I was denied accordingly. Don't feel bad -they deliberately print the issuing bank in the smallest font possible, LOL!
      Now, Ally which you mentioned elsewhere may now own Ollo, has been courting me with weekly invites. I don't think I'll take the bait and bite.
      Good luck on getting that washer/dryer sooner - you so deserve some newer appliances after all you guys had to put up with to get your discharge.
      I do hope you won't have to wait much longer- I'm crossing my fingers and sending good vibes on being approved for that Menard store card right away.

Comment

My husband keeps getting offers from Ally for a credit card.

At least I have a nice laundromat that is attended and clean and has lots of machines and nice clean places to sit and a clean bathroom. Can you tell that in the past the only laundromat near me was not clean and was not attended. It's a creepy place.

I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Hey Carmella! Yes, I believe shipo and justbroke have both confirmed Capital One is a good place to consider post-bankruptcy, as is Pen Fed. One or both of them mentioned, go 'to the source' (the bank: ie Capital One), and avoid store cards, due to lack of flexibility/use elsewhere. IE: go to Capital One, not a store whose card is offered by Capital One.
          Washer/Dryer: Can you get just the washer for now? We hang a lot of clothes to dry; and when I say we, I mean **I**. LoL! We er... I, use the top of doors, and even flat surfaces. And no, not for my clothes, for, yknow... she who says so.... oh so particular gah. Truth be told though, Barbisi's clothes have far outlasted their style ... <JK!!> ... ok no they haven't... workout t-shirts are timeless for example... we got the original Star Trek, Pikatchu, Bloody Brothers (chinese action film with NO subtitles), etc. Also: check out estate sales: you may find clothes hanger things on wheels - and on Sundays, usually, remaining stuff is half price. You can find estate sales online, or just follow the signs on the road for them. Then get the dryer later? You might get a deal on a set at an estate sale.
          In other news: it's 4 pm and yeah it is dark here; but also, quiet, peaceful, so cool, really like it, almost... too quiet though PNW, in the woods. May need a generator... hope not...

Comment

Speaking of new a new washer/dryer combo, I needed to buy a new set last November; my two options were to take advantage of a potential Home Depot card, or simply use my CapOne card; I chose the latter.
            Latent car nut.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been going to the laundromat about every 5 days. I am torn thinking about buying more clothes so make this a weekly event. I can have the laundry washed, dried and out the door in almost 90 minutes. Part of me feels like maybe the laundromat is not a bad thing! Though as the snow starts it won't be so good. I have my system down, which washers to use. They have sizes of washing machines one holds 8 loads! I don't need to use the one that large. I also bring hangers since the laundry carts at the laundromat have a bar over the top. I hang my husband's work clothes and my scrubs and our jeans. I think going every 5 days is probably the most manageable because it's enough to handle loading and unloading the car. My husband wears layers at work so his work clothes alone are a regular home washer size load after 5 days.

I want to start cleaning out the basement so I can paint the area before getting a new washer and dryer. I really want to get the pair together because I spent many months without a dryer and it's difficult finding space for our clothes to dry. Plus I had to wash more loads, based on the drying space and the humidity--when it took longer to dry.

Comment

Ah yeah I understand that, re: humidity. Dang... a single washer that takes 8 loads of clothes? Holy cow! The Leviathan!
                I think, cleaning and painting the area would be both cathartic, and 'envisioning the future you want' ie, getting the W/D as a pair. You will make it happen Carmella!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X