top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advisable to roll pension funds into 401K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Advisable to roll pension funds into 401K?

Hi folks.
    When I turn 55, I will be eligible to access pension funds from a former company without penalties. My question: is it advisable to roll pension funds into a 401K? Waiting til I am 70 or so, would yield more direct from the pension, but I am wondering if taking it all out when I am 55, and putting it into a 401K, could surpass the value if I leave it til I am 70. I understand the market has volatility, so it is taking a chance I suppose. What do you think? Thanks!

One word... Enron. I'd move my money out from employer-held funds as soon as I could. You can always put your rollover money into a more stable money-market account. (Especially if you're close to retirement, you should be in low risk funds.)

At least, those are my thoughts.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

• Zombie13
      Zombie13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks justbroke. Yeah, good ol' Enron. Spell it like NRON and we have a 4 letter word LOL! I am a ways from retirement, but definitely want to get the money away from the pension fund and into something(s) else. We will need to speak with a financial advisor as well.

I tend to agree with @justbroke's assessment.

From a different perspective, I'm faced with a similar decision now with Social Security; my wife and I are 66, however, if we wait until we're 70 (about 3 years for me and 3.5 years for her), my monthly benefit will go up by over $1,100 and hers will go up by over $900. At this point we certainly don't need the money, however, we're thinking we might split the difference, have her file for benefits in a couple of months when she hits full retirement age, and have me wait until 70.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
      I tend to agree with @justbroke's assessment.

From a different perspective, I'm faced with a similar decision now with Social Security; my wife and I are 66, however, if we wait until we're 70 (about 3 years for me and 3.5 years for her), my monthly benefit will go up by over $1,100 and hers will go up by over $900. At this point we certainly don't need the money, however, we're thinking we might split the difference, have her file for benefits in a couple of months when she hits full retirement age, and have me wait until 70.
      thanks shipo, yes this is food for thought as well. Come to think of it, I believe there may be an annual cap on what can be paid into a 401k, so I probably could not take a pension lump sum and just put it into the 401k. Looks like we need to start learning and understanding investment and money products.

Comment

If it's a rollover, the amount won't matter. Definitely seek out a financial adviser and hopefully one from a reputable firm.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

• Zombie13
          Zombie13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do, thanks. Slightly funny story: we were looking into one firm since we got a mailer from them. But in order to work with them, we need something like, at least $500,000.00 to invest. So, next! LOL! If we had 500K, we would never have been bankrupt, see.... that's not how it works... at all...

Zombie13 yeah it seems most "private banking" at the major banks wants at least $500K in invest-able funds. In the good ole days, they would include a jumbo mortgage (held by them of course) in that calculation.

Comment

I've heard Chase grants Private Client status with only $150,000.
          Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            Zombie13 yeah it seems most "private banking" at the major banks wants at least $500K in invest-able funds. In the good ole days, they would include a jumbo mortgage (held by them of course) in that calculation.
            So, are you saying: if a person had a jumbo mortgage, that mortgage would be considered equity contributable toward an investment portfolio? That sounds kind of iffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie13 View Post
              So, are you saying: if a person had a jumbo mortgage, that mortgage would be considered equity contributable toward an investment portfolio? That sounds kind of iffy.
              Neither an investment portfolio nor invest-able. Many years ago, Bank of America would allow you to be a private banking customer if you had $250K in investments or had a $250K+ mortgage through the bank. They stopped that at some point. It may have been, at the time, a way to drive more mortgage business to BOA.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                Thanks again JustBroke. The final sentence in this post is what confused me.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X