Opening checking/savings post filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening checking/savings post filing

Which banks will allow me to open a new account after filing chapter 7? So far Wells Fargo and Regions are a no go.

Which bank did you use prior to your filing?

FWIW, I opened a savings account two days after my Chapter 13 was discharged; I used the same bank I have been using all along.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Try a local credit union. So long as you don't have anything in ChexSystems you should be okay. If you do have something in ChexSystems, then you should obtain a free report from them (at their website), and then dispute anything bad by telling them about the bankruptcy.

Did you have a bunch of NSFs (insufficient funds) or other account conditions that would be in ChexSystems?
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I agree with justbroke about the credit union. I actually opened my account while I was in Chapter 13 and there was no problem. Hopefully you have nothing in the ChexSystems.
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Try a local credit union. So long as you don't have anything in ChexSystems you should be okay. If you do have something in ChexSystems, then you should obtain a free report from them (at their website), and then dispute anything bad by telling them about the bankruptcy.

Did you have a bunch of NSFs (insufficient funds) or other account conditions that would be in ChexSystems?
          My SO opened some account at the local credit union, as his credit scores keep getting worse after he becomes delinquent on the credit card debt. Is this something that would be considered negative in ChexSystems, is it possible they might just close his account any time? He hasnt overdrafted these accounts with local credit union.

Comment

If a person has a history of NSF (insufficient funds) at a bank or credit. union (CU) that reports to ChexSystems, this information may be in ChexSystems. It would be up to the particular bank of CU to determine whether the account should be closed based on risk factors that only that bank/CU would know.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X