Discharged!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged!

I checked Pacer last night and saw that my discharge was entered on Wednesday, 36 days after the trustee received my last payment. A short and sweet one sentence order.

I emailed my attorney's assistant today to ask if there is anything I need to sign to get the judgment voiding my second mortgage. That was my subtle way of making sure they get the ball rolling on this last step that, in my district, doesn't happen until after discharge. I checked PACER a few minutes ago and 10 minutes after she responded with a simple "not at this time", she filed the Notice of Opportunity of Hearing that must be sent to the mortgage holder and a proposed order. They have 10 days to request a hearing, which isn't going to happen because they have no basis on which to object. It seems silly that they even have an opportunity to object now when they had an opportunity to object before the order valuing lien was entered and didn't.

5 years and one month ago, I had $143K in debt (in round numbers) as follows:

Credit card debt on 5 cards: $43,000
    A fully unsecured 2nd mortgage: $85,000
    Loan on the new car I bought a month before filing: $15,000

All creditors filed claims except for Capital One to whom I owed $5,700.

I paid a $1,500 retainer to my attorney and my $30,000 in plan payments were disbursed as follows:

Attorney: $4,800
    Trustee: $1,500
    Car Payments: $15,000
    Unsecured creditors (including 2nd mortgage): $8,000

(It doesn't add up to $30K because I'm rounding.)

That's the best $31,500 I've ever spent!

When I filed, my house was far underwater even without the 2nd mortgage. Now, after some improvement in the market and paying down principal on the first mortgage, I probably actually have some equity, or at least I will after I record the Judgment Voiding Lien. Now, I just hope to be able to refinance my adjustable rate mortgage before the rates start increasing. It's at 2.25% now and can only increase by 2% per year. So, even if I have to wait 2 years to refi, I should be okay.

I had about 10 credit cards and they all were cancelled, except apparently my American Express card. They still show my account as open on my credit reports and they still send me notices of changes to the terms of the account. I'll have to call to see if they'll send me a new card. I tore up all of my credit cards before I filed.

Woooooooo! Hooooooooo!
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 05-29-2015, 03:14 PM.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

OMG! OMG! OMG! Somebody PINCH ME! (Yes, I'm actually yelling right now.)

Congratulations LadyInTheRed! You are certainly deserving of your fresh start and you exemplify the type of debtor for which Bankruptcy was created. You give back to the community in an unselfish manner and I commend you on reaching your discharge. You are amongst the very few that ever make it to discharge... I had no doubt that you would.

Congratulations again!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Such great news. Congrats and thanks so much for your time spent here clearing up expectations and making the process more bearable for many.

What a stellar deal for you. Good job on setting yourself up for your future.
      11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Congratulations!
        Discharged 5/2015

Comment

Sounds like party time has arrived in time for the weekend. Congratulations Lady...I'm very happy for you. You've been such a help to all of us here...i hope you'll be staying to help us getting closer, but not quite there yet.
          Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
          Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Congrats LITR! Awesome! That was fast! Hope ours is fast too! Any day now.... Still stalking PACER! I am actually going to owe them money this quarter for the first time.

Comment

• frustrated51
              frustrated51 commented
              Editing a comment
              What will be the last document before discharge on Pacer? Last I see is notice of cure arrived relating to the mortgage.

Congratulation! i'm a short-timer around here but I think I know enough to say that your knowledge, preparation and disciplined approach to your 13 is an example for many of us.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

So there it is!!!! Lucky lady in the red!!!! So happy for you and thankful for all your help!! Woot!!!!!
                Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

That is great news!! Happy for you!!!!!

Comment

Congratulations!!! That was fast. Thank you for all you've done on this board too!
                    Filed ch 13 03/2012. Final payment made 03/2015. Discharged 8/04/15!!!

Comment

Congratulations!!! We just recently got our discharge as well. We got a nice letter along with the discharge from the trustee. It said congratulations, we deserve a pat on the back. They said they knew it was probably very difficult, but we can now rest easy and start over. We are celebrating big time and I think you should too. I have read many places that not everyone gets through a 13. It was tough for us, but it was not as bad as going through the credit card bills we owed before. We had to do it and we have learned a lot!

Comment

• frustrated51
                        frustrated51 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How long after you last payment was it discharged?

:::Clapping hands:::: Yay!!!!! SO very happy for you!!!! Enjoy your Financial Freedom!!!
                      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Congratulations! It must me such a relief!!! I'm STILL waiting!! Over 90 days since last payment and audit is not done!

Comment

• frustrated51
                          frustrated51 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Will Pacer show when audit is complete? Maybe that is what we are still waiting for.

Thank you everybody!

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                        You are amongst the very few that ever make it to discharge.
                        Based on all the discharge parties we've been having around here, I think that being a member of BKforum greatly increases the odds of discharge. Thanks to people like you, justbroke, and many others who were here before me (I was going to start listing other, but am afraid of leaving some out), I learned so much on this board that during consultations, I corrected one attorney and the others just confirmed what I already learned here. In fact, if I hadn't stumbled across bkforum while trying to figure out what to do about my mortgage that I couldn't refi after the housing crash, filing BK may not have occurred to me until my teetering house of cards finally came crashing down. A stressful situation would have gotten much worse before it got better if I hadn't found this place. I am glad I can pay that forward.

Thank you to everybody who participates in this site, past and present!
                        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X