top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Conversation with our attorney this morning on finishing up; need your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Conversation with our attorney this morning on finishing up; need your thoughts

Hi everyone.
    So I had a text from our attorney this AM; he said, 'can you call me please'. Initially I thought, oh no now what? LOL
    I called him back, and these are the points we discussed / he said (his statements in the conversation, not mine):

1) Make sure the mortgage is paid by the first of the month, even if paying between the 1st and 15th is considered 'on time', to avoid a mess at the end.
    2) RE: borrowing from the 401K before or after the discharge, and closing: we can do whatever we want; we can borrow from it now. Again, just make sure the mortgage is paid by the first of the month. In the case of a 401k loan, we are the creditors, so to speak - we pay ourselves back, plus interest, out of our weekly paycheck. For a credit card or other loan, the creditor would have to talk with the trustee.
    3) at this point, we could pay off the plan early; the trustee wouldn't care. In fact, the trustee and all creditors would be happy if that happened. Note: we aren't going to do that, for reasons explained below.

Reasons on #3:
    we have always paid the mortgage between the 1st and 15th. We could 'reverse' our budget, so we pay the mortage twice in one month, but then we will have to delay the other bills.

The 401K loan: I know this is an unpopular choice because, 'life happens'. Also, once we do this, we will be at the 'point of no return'. We understand and accept the risks. We're ready for positive changes in our life. The loan would be used to pay the mortgage before the 1st of the month (i.e. get ahead/catch up), for the next few months; ie for the remainder of our plan. Again, our attorney said, this is acceptable. This is also why, we will not pay off the plan early. If we paid off the plan say, today, then the trustee would mail a letter to our mortgagor asking, 'are these people current'? And the mortgagor could say, No. Now, on the 'good side': if we do the loan now, we could repair house stuff starting now, get the closing, list the house, and get outta Dodge.

401k part 2: we can do only one loan at a time, and there are IRS rules about the max we could borrow: ie the lesser of: 50K, or 50% of the current 401k value, or 50% of the 401K value, MINUS any other outstanding 401k loans. So there's a cap. Even if we had $800,000 in our 401K, the max we could borrow is 50K.

401k loan #3: when we sell the house, we pay off the loan. The loan is an expense of selling the house, period. If possible we will list them as a payee at closing. So, the alternative to the loan is, 'stay in the house! fix up for years on end'. No. No. No. We're done. This is not an option for us. We're gone. Done. Finito. Buh Bye.

payoff the plan early: from reading these forums the past 4 years, 9 months, 1 week, 2 days, 3 hours, 18 minutes, and 34.613 seconds (nooo not really), I do not recall reading about anyone paying off a partial plan 2 months early. Now, we can do as shipo suggested, which is make the last payment on day 1 or 2 of the final payment cycle, to accelerate the discharge.

payoff the plan early #2: we have read here, someone accidentally made a double payment in one month, and that extra payment was 'pocketed'. At this point, we will be paying $8 over our owed amount, per the document (forget what it is called). I have added up all our previous payments, plus the final payments, and we overpay by that eight bucks. Woooo Aaaaahhh.... Starbucks, here we come! Not. Sure we'd love to pay off early but the reasons above explain why we will hold off.

Also: when the attorney put in the work on the plan modification a year or so ago, he was compensated by the legal insurance company provided by my former employer; albeit, at 25% of the suggested rate. That sucks, but at the same time, we do not owe him any additional fees.

EDIT: Before we do *anything*, I will email our attorney, with a recap of our phone chat, to ensure I understood with absolute clarity each point we discussed.

Ok; I think that is all I have. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.
    Last edited by Zombie13; 11-30-2021, 11:54 AM.

You're working with your attorney and that is what is important. They seem to know how the Trustee behaves when you're just a couple of payments away from completing a non-100% plan. Far be it for me to say something different, but it's probably because you're almost done... not at payment #36 of 60.

I am a strange bird. I like to be happy now even in the face of wanting to be happy in the future. I think of it as live today as if it's your last day, but not in the sort of Grand Theft Auto sense of mayhem, burning bridges, and disrespect for others. I think of it as living each day as my best day and hopefully I get another one tomorrow.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks justbroke . I did email the attorney to clarify, and he confirmed all points.
      And, that's a good way to live. How each of us responds to stressful situations is due to many factors, including personality (nature) and nurture (external forces shaping us over time).
      Just knowing that we have this flexibility, is a tremendous relief to me.

Comment

justbroke, I certainly understand your point of view - you are exactly where you want to be in your life, and BK13 was a mere annoying gnat that had little emotional impact on how you went about your daily business.
        You had no medical issues, you didn't have to "retire" from your desired career, and you didn't lose a loved one who also was your best friend only 9 months before you had to file. You were and always will be happy, no matter what. I respect that and in no way am criticizing your reaction to what for me was the end of the road for almost five years.
        We have been spending an average of 10-12K per year on medical care (PT, chiro, cortisone shots, shockwave treatments, etc.) that this arid, high desert climate is acerbating. The stairs in this house are a constant threat and just one more fall down them could lead to costly and potentially crippling surgeries that no one except the surgeons themselves is recommending. All my PTs, and chiropractors have said to get away from these stairs and move to a lower altitude with more humidity!
        Realtors have advised us to sell while the prices are sky high, and it is clear to me that buying another house anywhere is the last thing I want to do, even if the BK13 wouldn't be a red flag on our credit until 2024.
        There is an old expression "You can't go home again." Well, for us things can't go back to what they were before 2014, when our BK13 really began with the purchase of a rundown house we couldn't afford to fix up.
        This 401K will only be used for things relating to the sale of the house and getting all bills and the mortgage fully caught up and paid before the 1st so we can qualify for discharge and to fix my husband's car struts ( 1k+) so he can continue to drive to work. Unlike others, we couldn't save $$$$$$$ before, and we haven't been able to cobble together enough to get that done before now. So, this short-term loan will be a possible life saver for us.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X