Preparing to make final payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing to make final payment

Ok so we made the February mortgage payment this past Friday, and it cleared our bank this morning (Monday). So, the mortgage is now current until March 01 2022. The January 2022 BK payment was already paid, which is due on January 10 (today). Therefore, we can make the final, February 2022 payment tomorrow or the following day - January 11/12, since that's the beginning of a new BK monthly cycle for us. Maybe this is just wishful thinking but ideally, the trustee will contact the lender before March 1 asking, 'are the borrowers current on their mortgage?' (and of course the lender will respond before March 01). The timeline between making the final payment (January 11/12), and March 1st is about 6 weeks. Of course, we will continue to remain current on the mortgage; but it would be nice to get this knocked out sooner rather than later.
    We have heard of at least one case on here, in which the debtor made more than one payment in a bk payment cycle, and they were in a << 100% plan. The trustee kept the 2nd payment, so the debtor ended up paying that additional amount into their plan. This, is why we are waiting until the start of the bk payment cycle, to make that final payment - so we don't end up paying an extra $900! LOL. The attorney did say, 'yeah pay it off early if you want'... but, we're not taking *ANY* chances with this. The attorney is *usually* correct about how the trustee team will respond, but not always. So. we'll wait a day or two.

I'd wait at least 5 business days before making the next payment. Check the NDC (National Data Center) to see if it shows the prior payment first. That's just to CYA!

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, NDC shows in 'Recent Payments' section last payment was posted January 03 by the trustee. 'Message Center' section shows, 01/05 trustee posted a payment on Jan 03.
      Interesting note: Recent Payments section also shows previous payment posted on 11/29 (for December 2021), but Message Center has a message indicating: 01/05 The trustee has yet to post a payment for the month of December. If you've recently made a payment, please disregard this alert.
      I think this is not an issue. NDC shows all 59 payments recorded. The online payment system and our bank account both show the same as well.

Comment

How EXCITING!!!!
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

justbroke - wait five days, from which event - the latest bk payment, or the latest mortgage payment? The latest bk payment was posted on NDC January 03, 2022, so 5 business days from then would be: Monday January 10, 2022 (yesterday).

Carmella - yes it is! Looking forward to getting it done. And you have about 12 months left... almost there! You can do it!

Comment

I was just saying 5 days from the posting of the BK payment... if you're trying to pay it early.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Gotcha, thanks. Just wanted to be absolutely sure.

Comment

Also: I verified on NDC.org that our total plan payments, including the upcoming final one, matches the Total Plan Base:

On NDC: Total Paid Into Plan, plus Final Payment, == Total Plan Base (on court order confirming the plan).

This has come up in topics on here a few times, so hopefully this particular post may help others when they want to verify they meet the total plan requirements.

Additionally, the attorney has verified we have completed both bk courses. We will also verify, since we don't recall actually doing both, though it was 5 years ago so, yeah.

Comment

I was in the same boat; I didn't remember doing it up front so I did it, again as it turned out, just before my final payment.
                  Latent car nut.

Comment

I hear that. I just did a search in my email, and found the certificates from back in February 2017. So, I forwarded that email to myself so it would be fresh, and I can collect the .PDF files and save to my computer. No more wondering.

Comment

So, all things considered, we should be in the clear to make the payment today.
                      * payment #59 and distributions appeared on NDC Jan 3 2022
                      * today is Tue Jan 11; 6 business days after the latest payment post date of Jan 3
                      * due date is February 10, so we are now officially in the next billing cycle (first day of the cycle). Therefore there should be no reason for this to be considered a 'bonus payment' by the trustee.
                      * today's payment will actually 'post' on NDC at least one day from today anyway, same for disbursements; more likely 2-3 days from today.

Comment

I say, "Pull the trigger".
                        Latent car nut.

Comment

Hell yeah! I say, go full zombie apocalypse on this!

Comment

Final Payment Complete.
                            Payment 'Effective' Date is tomorrow January 12, 2022.
                            That's also when the funds are debited from our account.

Comment

Congrats to you both. It's an amazing feeling!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X