Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lien strip after discharge

Hi all,
    Finally got my discharge order. Paid off the plan in month 54 and did not have to pay 100% back , FYI.

Does anyone know what I need to do to actually remove the lien that was stripped? I called the bank , they still have it as an active lien. Do I just send them the discharge or do I need to send them the motion, etc?

Anyone know?

Thanks and ping me if you have any q's about the discharge process and early payoff.

A lien strip only works if you actually filed either a Motion to Determine Secured Status and Strip Lien or a Complaint (AP-Adversary Proceeding) to Determine Secured Status. (Whether it's by motion or complaint is based on your specific local rules.) If the lien strip was granted, you would have a signed order granting the lien strip effective (usually) upon discharge. Some of those lien strips orders are recordable. (Your attorney should know if you have a recordable lien strip).

If you did not file such a motion or AP, then the lien is not stripped and it is, quite frankly, too late to do so.

(Please be aware that I deleted your duplicate thread on this topic. Please refrain from creating duplicate threads as they will dilute your responses and the thread topic will become disjointed.)
    Last edited by justbroke; 09-10-2014, 10:33 AM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks JustBroke -
      It was listed in My Chapter 13 Plan and Motion, before confirmation. It's a Motion to Void Liens and Reclassify Claim from Secured to Completely
      Unsecured. There was an Order Confirming Chapter 13 Plan with notes that all Motions included in plan are Granted. Not sure what other orders would be needed.

Comment

Curious..How did you pay off plan before 60 months and not have to pay 100%?

Comment

I just submitted a payoff request and it came back in line with what i owed for the base plan. My attorney says after 36 months , you should not have to pay back 100% and can leave the plan early.

Comment

Interesting.. I'll talk to my attorney and see if that would slide in my district. My base plan was for about 10% of what we owed and we're due for a discharge in the 1st quarter 2016.

Comment

Doesn't hurt to ask. There should be a website from your trustee with instructions. Mine was simply an email with an official request for an amount. They did ask where the $ is coming from (I said savings from tax returns / last 4 years).

Comment

Originally posted by patieboy38 View Post
                It was listed in My Chapter 13 Plan and Motion, before confirmation. It's a Motion to Void Liens and Reclassify Claim from Secured to Completely Unsecured. There was an Order Confirming Chapter 13 Plan with notes that all Motions included in plan are Granted. Not sure what other orders would be needed.
                Send a copy of the discharge along with the Confirmed Plan and the Order Granting Motion to Void Lien. That should clear it up for the bank. In your cover letter, make sure you tell them that they are in violation of the discharge injunction and that should they not release the Mortgage forthwith, you will re-open the bankruptcy case (if it's closed) to seek sanctions and an order completing the release.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

In my district, you get an order valuing lien before confirmation. Then, after the plan is complete, on the request of the debtor, the court will issue a Judgment Voiding Lien which the debtor can have recorded with the county recorder. Check your court's local rules to see if there is guidance on the procedure. Or ask your attorney.
                  Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by vanillasky View Post
                    Curious..How did you pay off plan before 60 months and not have to pay 100%?
                    If one is under median and not paying 100% of your debts there is usually an option to finish early. You still have to pay 100% of your plan base.

Our district decided half way through my ch13 that all lien strips will have to go through an adversarial proceeding in order to complete it. Fires me up as my plans were already in motion and the extra expense is not appreciated.
                    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                      In my district, you get an order valuing lien before confirmation. Then, after the plan is complete, on the request of the debtor, the court will issue a Judgment Voiding Lien which the debtor can have recorded with the county recorder. Check your court's local rules to see if there is guidance on the procedure. Or ask your attorney.
                      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
                        If one is under median and not paying 100% of your debts there is usually an option to finish early. You still have to pay 100% of your plan base.

Our district decided half way through my ch13 that all lien strips will have to go through an adversarial proceeding in order to complete it. Fires me up as my plans were already in motion and the extra expense is not appreciated.
                        It think it varies by district. I'm over the median.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                          That's exactly what I need , thanks Red!

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                            Send a copy of the discharge along with the Confirmed Plan and the Order Granting Motion to Void Lien. That should clear it up for the bank. In your cover letter, make sure you tell them that they are in violation of the discharge injunction and that should they not release the Mortgage forthwith, you will re-open the bankruptcy case (if it's closed) to seek sanctions and an order completing the release.
                            Done! Thanks again. I'll update

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post

Wait.... What??? I am doing a lie n strip, it was granted. I am almost 2 years in. Do you mean they can rethink this????? Omg!
                              Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X