Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• killinstinct
    replied
    Amen to above! Pay cash if possible, you'll have a terrible time getting credit anyway. If you do, the interest will be outrageous and self-defeating.

Leave a comment:

• NoMoreCards
    replied
    You are not supposed to take on any new debt while currently in BK. So your idea of filing and then purchasing a car is a bad idea.

I understand having the lease and being over mileage, I was as well when I filed. I had to have a car (just as you), but knew it was smart to get out of my lease. So I ended up buying a old car (93 Gran Marquis) with just under 100K miles on it. I paid cash for the car, and these cars are known to hit 250K or so with reasonable care. So I turned in my lease with the BK, have no car payment and am driving a car that I would trust to take me anywhere. I have since put on 20K miles on the "Grannymobile" and have only changed the oil.

You can find a nice cheap older car that was well cared for, get out of car payments AND get out from under that lease.

Just an idea as it worked well for me.

Leave a comment:

• cchamberlin8
    started a topic New car just after filing??

New car just after filing??

I am very new to this but like so many others, I have found this to be a wealth of information. I am filing Ch 7 in New Jersey and I have a leased vehicle. Two years left on the lease and I will be significantly over the milage allowance at lease end. On one hand I think the best thing to do is to surrender the lease but at the same time my commute is very long and moving isn't an option right now so I need a car.

Is it possible and/or advisable to file the Ch7 noting that I will not keep my lease but just after filing, maybe days after, I finance a new car. My thought is that the new car would not be part of the Bk because it happened after filing and of course I plan on paying it.

I don't know what other options I have. Any suggestions?

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X