top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discharged!!!!!! To all those who weighed in about passing the Ch. 7 means test...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged!!!!!! To all those who weighed in about passing the Ch. 7 means test...

I checked pacer and also got confirmation from my attorney: I'm discharged as of last week!!!!! I'm so, so relieved.

As some of you might recall, there was a discussion on here before I filed about how I could possibly pass the means test... a few peeps here were certain my case would not fly because I'm about $30K per year over the median income. Well, it all worked out. I live in California and my necessary expenses are pretty large (in fact in the area I live in, I'm around or below the median). And in case you're wondering, I was completely and utterly upfront with my attorney and with my filing about assets, income, cash, expenses.... I did not hide anything and was totally honest (I've noticed the bk world is "guilty until proven innocent" so I just thought I'd mention that).

Anyway, thanks to all who supported me during this very difficult and stressful time. I'm living in a great new place, waiting for my house to get foreclosed on. I don't think I'm going to try to keep it because not only am I very skeptical about the bank working with me, but I want to move on, I don't really want to be a landlord either... but I may call the bank just to see what they have to say. Very unlikely they can work with me.... and a loan modification would mean I have the debt again, wouldn't it? Almost like reaffirming?

I've learned a lot from this experience. I have totally adjusted the way I spend money. When I catch myself slipping into the old thinking, I remind myself that it would be a shame if this whole bk thing were a waste...

so.... my life begins again!!!!

Isobel

As a Spiderman comic book would say, "KaPOW!"

Congrats on your successes! And doubly so for moving on after recognizing how you can do better! An example to all!

Comment

Happy Fresh Start to You!! Congrats!
      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

That is good news! Congrats on not only making it through the ordeal but having the good sense to not fall back into the debt trap again. Now we wait for the hamsters...
        Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Congrats!! You must be so relieved! I hope to be following in your footsteps very soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Isobel View Post
            .... and a loan modification would mean I have the debt again, wouldn't it? Almost like reaffirming?
            No. A modification is not at all like reaffirming. Your liability for the debt was discharged and a modification doesn't change that. To reaffirm a debt in BK, you have to file the raffirmation agreement before discharge and it must be approved by your attorney or the judge. A discharged debt cannot be reaffirmed after discharge. Make sure you don't refinance the loan, as that would create a new post-petition loan.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X