No announcement yet.

Citi sends 3 police cars to my home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't your lawyer pushing forward to have them sanctioned? I really cannot believe this. Ironically, in the few days since we filed I have gotten calls from creditors that haven't been contacted from in quite awhile. How they got my cell number is beyond me. Maybe Chrysler called all of my creditors and gave out my cell since they were the ones harrassing me even after I retained my attorney. The nice thing is that ass soon as I told all these freaks that we filed BK and gave my case number, most of them were quite pleasant. A few told me to have anice day! No calls in two or so days.

BigJohn, I'd say change your number but then how great to build a case against them on continuous phone calls......good luck to you. I really feel for ya!

Comment

Wow! This is quite an interesting thread. Beyond crazy! I am hoping you are handling it well.

Doens't it seem sort of hypocritical in a way - You have to BK because you can't pay Citi and they harass you day and night with calls and than one day, out of the blue, they get all concern that you might "harm yourself". Gimma a break. If they were really concerned about your mental health, they would quit calling you! Or at the very least send over a prepaid therapist courtesy of Citibank.

I just filed CH.7 myself last week. 4 cc's - one of them Citibank. All of the other companies have obeyed the stayed and have not called and seem to have frozen or closed my accounts. All except - yep, Citi! They must have called ten times yesterday - and that was the first day they started calling.
      Still calling today and technically, they are NOT supposed to be calling me.

I seem to see a lot of stories on here about how Citibank tends to not follow the "rules" when it comes to the BK process. Is it just me or does anyone else see them as some major rule breakers? That company just seems so badly run.
      "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
      http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
      1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

Citi is not the only one. Some call knowing fully well you are in bankruptcy. Citi has our account in their bankruptcy section. It has been there for a long time. They just don't care.
        Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Make it a game. When Citi calls you each day, don't talk about the debt at all. Just ask them what they think of the Braves chances at a pennant this year. Ask them if it is snowing and if his/her sister is out of the penitentiary yet.

They are trying to rattle you enough to get you to send a check. I used to start out my calls by informing the collector that I was recording the calls for compliance with the FDCPA and OCGA (GA Laws). Of course, FDCPA doesn't really apply with Citi but who cares, I wasn't actually recording most of the calls either.

Next I would insist that the collector identify the name of the company and the state from which they were calling. Basically, I was just taking control and putting them on the defensive. However, when they would ask why I wanted to know what state they were calling from, I'd tell them that I wanted to ensure that I filed my complaint with the correct SOS office, BBB or whatever.

I think a few collection agents were very glad when I actually filed the bankruptcy. I really got to a few of them. Now that I never hear from them, I find that I actually miss my daily calls from them.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
            Was at my lawyer's office and they called Citi. Citi claims they will continue to call me, that is what they told them at my lawyer's office. The person at my lawyer's office told them when I get the police report (Monday) that my lawyer will be contacting Citi. That fact did not bother Citi. They claim they will still continue with the calling (harrassment).

What bothered me was the police wanted to go into our house. I told them "No!". I did not explain to them why I did not want them in the house. They did not push the issue. Where I live, if you let the police inside, they automatically search the house. The pepper plants I am growing would turn into marijuna plants, etc.
            Wise move! One time I called 911 by mistake. I was trying to dial 912-XXXX, and ended up dialing 911. So, when the 911 operator came on the phone, I told her I dialed 911 by mistake and hung up on her. She sent the cops out to my house and they said they wanted to check on the welfare of anyone inside the house. They asked (like a vampire) if they could come inside my home and I stupidly allowed them to come inside. They then asked everyone inside if they were okay, and then they searched my whole house opening every door and even looking inside my closets, cupboards and desk! They found a bag of green leaves and instantly thought it was marijuana! I told them it was oregano and it was oregano. But what if it was something illegal!

Never let a cop inside your house voluntarily. Make them get a search warrant.

P.S.-- Go get a pay as you go cell phone and pay for it with cash (I recommend Net 10 pay as you go cell phones-- they work almost anywhere) and then cancel your other phone. When they are this bad about calling, there really is no other way to stop them. Be careful who you give your new phone number to, or it might end up in the hands of creditors again.
            The world's simplest C & D Letter:
            "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
            Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
              Wise move! One time I called 911 by mistake. I was trying to dial 912-XXXX, and ended up dialing 911. So, when the 911 operator came on the phone, I told her I dialed 911 by mistake and hung up on her. She sent the cops out to my house and they said they wanted to check on the welfare of anyone inside the house. They asked (like a vampire) if they could come inside my home and I stupidly allowed them to come inside. They then asked everyone inside if they were okay, and then they searched my whole house opening every door and even looking inside my closets, cupboards and desk! They found a bag of green leaves and instantly thought it was marijuana! I told them it was oregano and it was oregano. But what if it was something illegal!

Never let a cop inside your house voluntarily. Make them get a search warrant.

P.S.-- Go get a pay as you go cell phone and pay for it with cash (I recommend Net 10 pay as you go cell phones-- they work almost anywhere) and then cancel your other phone. When they are this bad about calling, there really is no other way to stop them. Be careful who you give your new phone number to, or it might end up in the hands of creditors again.
              a cop once searched me (against my will). He found a bag of sage - I almost got busted.

I have several different types of bamboo growing in my backyard. One plant looks very similar to marijuana but its tell tale sign is that it isn't marijuana is it has shoots [bamboo] coming up.
              Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

wow that is awful! and so against the law. Once a collection agency is notified you are in BK they are supposed to cease communications with debtor.

The only way i can possibly think they got the cops to show up at your house was by calling the cops and saying that you threatened to kill yourself. Thats just evil for them to do something like that.

i would fight it if i were you, see if the company records the calls, b/c alot of companies to and get to the bottom of this. i would fight this til the end and win. they went way out of there way to scare you and do you wrong.
                retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

Do you have any more info on this situation?
                  11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Now that spidge has opened this back up... I'm all ears too! This would make for a very nice Motion for Sanctions! I bet you could even get punitive damages for "emotional" distress with the police showing up and their (Citi's) sheer arrogance.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I told him to call the news, what an absolute waste of tax payer money, and shouldn't those cops be patrolling the neighborhood for the "real" criminals?

Comment

Not sure where this stands now. Lawyer is handling it and it appears the best thing I can do is not bug him. I suspect citi is not happy with me. This loan was a second mortgage which we plan to strip. We bankrupted on a whole bunch of accounts with citi. 4 of those accounts were with Home Depot. What we don't have going for us is our case has not been confirmed yet. I think the last thing we need is a peeing contest. Citi openly acknowledges they do not honor the stay. Guess what? There are others that don't neither. The common expression I hear from the specific collection emplyees is "I was not personally notified!" They use this lame excuse as to why they continue to collect on a debt.

Comment

You don't have to let the police in - their purpose in going into his house was to tale an inventory to see what could be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by willowhare View Post
                            Wow! That is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard. Forget sanctioning, you're probably in line for a major harassment lawsuit. The company is apparently ignoring every legal move that has been taken against them.

Also, few police department can spare 3 cars for a wellness check. They usually only send 1 car until backup is called for. Citi probably told the cops that you had threatened violence. Hence the larger roll-out. The bank doesn't care if you hurt yourself or anyone else. It used the police as a tool to intimidate you, pure and simple.

BINGO!!.. New threat Tactics!!! Govt is a waste, and Police is stupid!!

Comment

Originally posted by cyn5 View Post

What if you were not even home, would the police have been able to enter your residence without your consent based on this fraudulent 911 call?

Actually they can. It happened to us. Not connected with BK but in the 2004 Florida hurricane season, our condo next door neighbor used a generator improperly and she called 911 because her roommate was passed out. We had been sleeping with our bedroom window open but it was so hot and humid - and no electric, we had just decided to drive north to visit our family.

So, we get a call, as we are on the road - in Tennessee - from the local police, asking if we are okay and informing us that they "had to break in" to our condo because of Carbon monoxide and that the levels in our condo were lethal. They thought we were in there dead! But we were very much alive - 600 miles away - now with a broken door and an unsecure condo.
                              Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
                              341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
                              Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
                              Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

Locally, the police went to one person's home because they had gotten a call the peson might not be feeling good. They tried getting the attention of the home owner but to no avail. When the police started breaking windows, the homeowner came out with a gun in her hand. The police shot her dead.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X