Getting a job with a bank with BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a job with a bank with BK

More bad news, I just lost my job last week. I have always worked for a bank and don't know if I should even bother applying for bank positions with my active BK13? I seem to recall that I needed to get bonded as part of the application process. I am worried that my BK will prevent me from getting a new job.

My attorney wants me to dismiss my BK and refile in a few months so I have just unemployment mixed in with my 6 month income. If I do this, would it be the best time to apply for a bank since I don't have an active BK?

Has anyone else had success in getting a new job with a bank while in a BK or having a dismissed BK?

Thank you for your time,

Our bk was still active when the bank/cc company my husband works for pulled his report. However, by the time he accepted the position we were discharged, and we did a chapter 7. Plus he didn't need to be bonded since he is a computer programer.

I say apply. The worst that can happen is you won't get the job, but at least you tried.

Normally, I say don't volunteer any information about the bankruptcy unless asked. However, in your case I could be proactive and mention it fairly early in the process.

I'd also pull the requirements for being bonded and see if a bankruptcy will definatelly prevent that.

If you show a few months of unemployment can you file a chapter 7? That way you would be done in a few months and may be more likely to get a banking job.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Good luck. Hopefully, this is a case where something even better will come along.
    Filed: 10/26/2006
    Discharged: 03/05/2007
    Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

I work for a bank and my understanding is that a bank will not hire you if you have a dismissed or active bankruptcy. If you have been discharged banks are okay with that. Sorry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if I lose my job, I will be in the situation as you are.
      sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

You know what? There are jobs out there where the employer doesn't care about your credit report and your finances. I would personally not want to work for an employer that bases their hiring and firing decisions on my credit report. I would rather be judged upon whether or not I can do the job they want done.

Besides, I think employers are going to have to relax their hiring standards a bit because there are a lot of potential employees out there with bad credit.
        The world's simplest C & D Letter:
        "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
        Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Thought I would share this...I am in the process of applying for a bank job and was told by the recruiter that a credit report is NOT pulled. A background check is done but its only for criminal history. So I am a very relieved person.

The recruiter said she gets the credit report question a lot! It's a sign of the times. Good luck out there!

Comment

Originally posted by grandmasusan View Post
            Thought I would share this...I am in the process of applying for a bank job and was told by the recruiter that a credit report is NOT pulled. A background check is done but its only for criminal history. So I am a very relieved person.

The recruiter said she gets the credit report question a lot! It's a sign of the times. Good luck out there!
            Most banks by now have a CIA/FBI mentality when it comes to background checks - especially if you handle cash. Becomes even worse if you are of middle eastern descent or hispanic descent.

Comment

More bad news, I just lost my job last week. I have always worked for a bank and don't know if I should even bother applying for bank positions with my active BK13? I seem to recall that I needed to get bonded as part of the application process. I am worried that my BK will prevent me from getting a new job.
              My attorney wants me to dismiss my BK and refile in a few months so I have just unemployment mixed in with my 6 month income. If I do this, would it be the best time to apply for a bank since I don't have an active BK?
              Has anyone else had success in getting a new job with a bank while in a BK or having a dismissed BK?
              Thank you for your time,
              Your Chapter 13 will stay on your credit reports for 7 years from the date of your filing. If it is dismissed and you refile, the clock starts ticking again from the date of that filing so you will have two filings on your credit reports. What you do in a situation such as this when working for a financial establishment where you may handle money or transfers of money is to be forthright with your interviewer explaining the entire situation. Stress that you formerly worked for banks and be armed with letters of recommendation from your bosses. If you are not honest about your BK situation and it pops up during the search they will do of you (yes, it will be credit search and background search), they will probably not hire you. They don't have to hire you in either situation but being forthright will probably give you the edge you need. Many people do not know that even having bad credit in your credit reports can keep you from getting a financial institution position. The reason being is that you may be considered a risk if you are having financial difficulties and may attempt to embezzle funds. If you read the newspapers, this occurs quite frequently with employees opening credit card accounts that they use, transferring funds to checking accounts or stealing cash or checks. The banks are trying to protect themselves so that may backlash on you because of what other people do. It seems like you have a good bank track record so ensure you stress that and have those letters of recommendation in hand.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

In the situation of a bank its not whether they want to hire you or whether you state a good case. If the bonding company cannot issue the bond on you because you do not meet their criteria (and one of them happens to be in an active BK..and remember, different insurance co. set different requirements for their bonds)...then they cannot hire you if they cannot insure you. Period. So it is not the bank making the decision based on the actual info. They just know "yes" we can bond the person or "no" we can't bond the person. The reason probabaly is irrelevant.
                Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Great news everyone, my background came back clear. I recd a call from the recruiter and she said that she told the hiring mgr I was ready to be hired. Thank goodness!

Comment

Great news everyone, my background came back clear. I recd a call from the recruiter and she said that she told the hiring mgr I was ready to be hired. Thank goodness!
                    Awesome news! Congrats!!!
                    Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
                    Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
                    Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
                    11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

Fantastic news, GMS! So glad this worked out in your favor!! Congrats on your new employment!
                      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I,m happy for you especially since you worried so about the credit report.

Comment

I work for a bank and am bonded. Can I lose my job if I file for 7?
                          pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
                          filed ch7 6-12
                          341 7-25
                          Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

Congratulations!!! I am so glad that I was wrong on this one. Good Luck!
                            sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

thanks everyone for the warm wishes...i really appreciate it. still waiting to hear when my start is. but i am in no hurry.

the unemployment checks are allowing me to carry on, lol.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X