top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wish there weren't so many snarky people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish there weren't so many snarky people.

It seems to me that there have been a lot of snippy responses to some peoples posts. I don't get it?

We're all in this together and should try to be as helpful as possible, not judgemental.
    Last edited by chloe0724; 06-13-2008, 10:26 AM.
    Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
    Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
    Discharged April 2012

I agree. There's enough hatred out there in the world, from people who paint us all with the broad "deadbeat" brush. Lets not fall prey to the same trap here!
    Filed 6/10/08

341 meeting July 14th - all went well!

Comment

to lighten the mood
      Filed Chap 7

Comment

Folks, you are right, but remember what we came here for and ARE here for now. Many people are stressed. I am for sure, and getting impatiant after 120 days from 341. But compassion is the message. We either hang here together or leave and hang ourselves alone.

I admit to going off now and again and I also see stress from others. I shall give and take as we are all the same. Attempting a new life start. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I agree there are a few people that might seem judgemental, but for the most part everyone is willing to help others out. Many times someone post questions when they should have just done a search and they would've found the answer.

And also many times people take things way to personal.

Originally posted by chloe0724 View Post
          It seems to me that there have been a lot of snippy responses to some peoples posts. I don't get it?

We're all in this together and should try to be as helpful as possible, not judgemental.

Comment

We all need to try to be informative, helpful and nonjudgemental.

But we also have to remember a few things

1. Most people here are at a very stressful point in their lives and we need to cut them a little slack if they are a little testy at times.

2. Many of the oldtimers who have been through this and come out on the other side have seen many of the same question dozens and dozens of time. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be compasionate. But it does mean that we need to be a little patient if the answer is brief and blunt. (especially when it is a question answered in the stickies or FAQ section)

3. Sometimes someone being blunt can be hurtful because we are thin skinned at this stressful time in our lives not because they were necessarily that cruel. Sometimes the truth hurts when we aren't ready to hear it yet.
            Last edited by JollyGG; 06-13-2008, 11:22 AM.
            Filed: 10/26/2006
            Discharged: 03/05/2007
            Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
              I agree there are a few people that might seem judgemental, but for the most part everyone is willing to help others out. Many times someone post questions when they should have just done a search and they would've found the answer.

I agree. But this forum is nothing like other forums out there and I wish I had the advice and support that is available on here now back when we filed in 2002! The forums then were loaded with trolls and people who would eat you alive if you posted and wrong advice/information given, usually on purpose! Then there have been folks on here that no matter how much good advice they are given by several posters, they just don't get it or revert back to what they were going to do anyway...or the folks who get impatient when someone doesn't respond back to them in 60 seconds or less.

I got berated in a recent posting by a brand new poster who told me that I was being rude for suggesting a certain way to cut expenses in a Chapter 13 to another poster as it related to medical costs (who asked for suggestions and who also got similar responses from other posters) and also for using a font that was darker and larger to get my point across, although I have been using the same size font and style for well over a year when someone told me my font was too small and to make it larger! You just can't please everyone...

Everyone, be thankful for this forum - those of us who have been on here a while can tell you that the experience and knowledge on here is priceless. Most posters try to help in any way they can and try to get points across as best as they can and as mentioned by Cali, may take it personally when it was meant to be of great help and service. Bankruptcy and financial issues are not at the high end of the Happy Chart!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Flamingo - I dig your font. And ITA w/ all you posted.

Comment

If there are responses that are insulting and meant insinuate agruments/fights, you all know what to do and rest assured those who break the forum rules will be dealt with accordingly.

That aside........

The topics we discuss here are quite sensative and those who have never been though a bankruptcy don't understand. I'm talking about the people who come here only to put us down, start fights and talk out of their (you know what) and offer nothing to the forum. And yes, we've had a few members that have taken their anger or frustrations out on our members and we took care of it.....and we will continue to do so.

PM's and reporting innapropiate and derogatory posts is your best defense. Do not let another member/poster get a rise out of you. And remember, we are here to help and offer support to those who need it. In my opinion, this is one of the best discussion forums around that discusses such a sensative topic.....and we do it well, so let's keep this well oiled machine going.
                  Bankruptcy History:
                  Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
                  Discharged - 02/16/2006
                  Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

I think its also hard to read emotion in posts. I know the smiley faces off to the side help but when a person types they read and write with their own emotions. Others may take something and completely misunderstand.
                    5/29 Filed 7~ 341-on 6/24
                    8/27-DISCHARGED
                    11/2 - CLOSED
                    EQ-604 EX-605 TU-560 ~4.5 months after discharge

Comment

Originally posted by chloe0724 View Post

It is far & few in between that you get someone here who has an agenda to put people down, call them names & make personal attacks. I have been judged here are couple of times but the mods pretty much nipped it & put a stop to it as it went way out of control.

We are all in this together & I dont care who thinks they are so much better & deserving while judging another or accusing them of fraud, they have no right to decide who is allowed a BK. Everyone deserves a second chance- from the guy who makes the most money & the gal with the least problems, to the gal with the least money and the man with the most problems.

Sometimes you might see something that seems snippy & snarky, that could definately be taken as abrasive & mean, but they are probably meaning well with the good intent. If you see something in particular that goes beyond just giving personal opinions that are meant as personal attacks that tend to turn into put downs & judging, you can report it by clicking the little red icon on the left bottom corner & the mods WILL investigate & stop it.

It is rare but it does happen where you have people who provoke. Or you can tell me because I have no problem going around wasting my time with mean nasty people while keeping my cool and I can get them on a hook to show the real intent One cannot hide obnoxious pride even behind these forums because out of the mouth does the intent of the heart reveal itself.

Comment

Originally posted by momof5 View Post
                        I think its also hard to read emotion in posts. I know the smiley faces off to the side help but when a person types they read and write with their own emotions. Others may take something and completely misunderstand.

It does happen that way. It is hard to know where everyone is with their emotions on this. Or one day they are happy & jumping, the next day very sad & depressed over something. it is not possible to know how everyone reacts to suggestions, problems or answers & various outcomes.
                        I think it is mostly in the initial shock of what is happening that the emotions play the biggest part like say the first 3 months, then after accepting, we start climbing to our goal & become stronger through the process.

Then you start to realize that there is like a little family here who remains constant & concerned. I dont give praise to the internet forums very often. Besides all the politics & junk topics like gasoline prices is...well you know, so you cant really offend or get offended, which is nice.

In general this a good, genuine upbeat place to help each other. The motives are good.

Comment

Originally posted by jerzey View Post

to lighten the mood

LOL, too f-ing funny

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                            It is far & few in between that you get someone here who has an agenda to put people down, call them names & make personal attacks.
                            This can be a major problem on forums like this. And when I say, "major"......I mean major major.
                            Filed: 7/31/08
                            341: 9/19/08
                            Report of no distribution 10/23/08
                            DISCHARGED: 11/19/08 (Day 60)

Comment

I know I ask way too many questions But I am so thankful for this board!

Christine
                              Mom2one aka Chrissy Chapter 13
                              Filed 11/08~341 1/15/09~ confirmed 2/27/09
                              Wonderful Attorney! Just trying to get through the 5 years!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X