Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel like a loser - got turned down for Target debit card

Hi,

Today I was checking out of Target and thought I would apply for debit card, as it isn't credit, and our checking account is good. Also would have liked the 5% discount. We have a gas card like that so didn't even think about NOT being approved.

We were denied.

Ugh. Feel like a loser.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Lynn

OUCH! That burns. But you're not a loser.

You still got the discount for applying, right?
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

You should take whatever decline notification they mail you, and then check the source of the information. You can certainly be denied checking accounts and check cards (debit cards) if you have prior BAD checking account history.

If this history was PRIOR to filing bankruptcy, then you can send your discharge to the credit reporting agency (such as Chexsystems or Telecheck) and have the information removed.

I don't even think that 80% of the population knows that there are systems which track the usage and behaviors of your checking accounts! I didn't learn until 2008 when I couldn't open a new checking account -- after bankruptcy -- because my old bank reported "suspicious" and "possible fraudulent" activity after I filed bankruptcy! (As if filing bankruptcy is suspicious.) In fact, this particular bank used their right of setoff and took the money from my other demand deposit account to pay for this line of credit. Talk about confused! (But it was removed.)
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Target I understand is BK friendly. As indicated above, you may have prior bad credit PRIOR to your BK which is still showing and which will stay on for 7 years if those companies were not in your BK. If in your Bk, you need to clean up your credit reports. Note that sometimes a recent BK showing up is enough to keep anyone from getting any sort of credit, debit card, etc. Sometimes it just takes more time for some but things do and will get better in time. But everyone has to remember that if one files BK, you will be denied somewhere along the line for any sort of credit, debit card, etc. as that BK does follow one around for a while before it starts to eventually go away....

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Lynn, sweets, it could simply be that you are in an open bankruptcy...

Your silly credit score doesn't define you as a person today or ever.

<3
          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Thanks all!

I am sure it is because we just filed the end of June. It didn't occur to me when I said sure on the debit card (to save 5%) because our checking account has never had any problems at all.

Yes, I did get a coupon for $3 for my "wait" and inconvenience.

So, when BK is finished, Target is BK friendly? So I can try for debit card then? 5% savings every time I shop there would be wonderful!!!

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
              Lynn, sweets, it could simply be that you are in an open bankruptcy...

<3
              Thank you. I needed that today.

Comment

I recently just signed up for this debit target card. It's not a line of credit it's attached directly from your checking account. From my understanding they do not pull your credit and it was something you didn't have to get approved for. I would look into why you were denied. Is your bank account new? Did you have money in your account when you signed up?
                "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                  I recently just signed up for this debit target card. It's not a line of credit it's attached directly from your checking account. From my understanding they do not pull your credit and it was something you didn't have to get approved for. I would look into why you were denied. Is your bank account new? Did you have money in your account when you signed up?
                  That's what I thought and why I signed up because it was for my debit card. I had just gotten paid, so there was $ in account, our checking account is in good standing - no problems there. The girl that gave me the $3 coupon thought it was their system as their power had been going in and out. I didn't say anything - I just figured it was the BK.

Should I try again? Maybe online? It would be great to save 5% there. We shop Target a lot!

Thanks!

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
                    That's what I thought and why I signed up because it was for my debit card. I had just gotten paid, so there was $ in account, our checking account is in good standing - no problems there. The girl that gave me the $3 coupon thought it was their system as their power had been going in and out. I didn't say anything - I just figured it was the BK.

Should I try again? Maybe online? It would be great to save 5% there. We shop Target a lot!

Thanks!

Lynn
                    You had to sign something to request this card and receive a copy of what you signed - did you read it at all? Probably somewhere in there you gave them permission to run your credit. Remember, a lender doesn't have to approve you if they feel you are a risk in any way. You probably will receive something in the mail shortly indicating the reason why you were not approved for that debit card. You still need to check all your credit reports and see if there are any issues and, if there are, clean them up.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks! I am sure my credit report is all goofed up right now, as we just filed end of June. I have checked Credit karma and my credit score with them has gone up since filing (I know it is a FAKO score), and will check when we are discharged with FICO.

The card was just done on the thing you run your card on like when you pay for something at the checkout. There was not anything about running a credit report that I saw. I was not applying for a credit card, but a debit card.

Thank you.

Comment

That is really strange. I was able to get a Target debit and I'm in an active ch.13. They didn't run any credit, and only needed a drivers license and voided check from me to approve it! Maybe the girl accidentally tried to approve you for a credit card.
                        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Well, maybe I will call and see what happened. Like the one girl said, they had been having their power go on and off so maybe it was a problem???

Like I have said earlier - we have no problems at all with our checking account.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post

<3
                            Your statement couldn't ring more true! I know several people with excellent credit scores (800+). They always seem to constantly talk about money, act Scroogelike and are overall miserable people. I like the adage of "God doesn't like money. Look at the people he gave it to"
                            Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by andy158 View Post
                              Your statement couldn't ring more true! I know several people with excellent credit scores (800+). They always seem to constantly talk about money, act Scroogelike and are overall miserable people. I like the adage of "God doesn't like money. Look at the people he gave it to"
                              I just love that quote!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X