top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you book a rent a car without a credit card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you book a rent a car without a credit card?

I've sworn off credit cards for the rest of my life. And now I'm told that you can't rent a car or book a hotel without one? Anybody here know if that's true?
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

I don't have any firsthand experience, but here are a couple of sites with information about renting a car without a credit card: http://www.thrifty.com/car_rental_in...edit_card.aspx and http://instructions.wikihow.com/Rent...-a-Credit-Card

Both sites say that the rental places may perform a credit check if you don't have a credit card (even if you have a debit card). The second site also says, "Understand that a hold will be placed on your debit card for a certain amount until the rental vehicle is returned. This is typically between $200 and $500."

Comment

What about a secured card, lotsa? I personally don't consider that a credit card in the truest sense of the word since you are just charging against your own money. This way you can definitely avoid some of the hassles (credit checks, interminable holds against funds, etc.) associated with traveling with only a debit card. Just a thought.

Hope all is well with you and yours!!
      Last edited by ValleYum; 09-28-2012, 09:00 PM.
      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

You can rent a car without a credit card. I did after my accident. What they did was take a $250 deposit on my debit card. It was returned once the insurance confirmed that they were paying for the rental.

I booked a vacation on my debit card, as well. It was treated just like a credit card in this case.

Comment

I have not rented any cars recently, but I have book and paid for hotel rooms using my debit card with no problem. I have 2 different debit cards, one is checking that also has my saving so I use that one. That way if they want to put a hold it, it does not effect my regular checking account.
          Discharged 5/2015

Comment

Even if you have sworn off "credit" cards, you should seriously consider a debit card for car rentals. It makes the process much much much better than proving that you have a job, substantial cash deposits, proof of return air, and a lot of legwork just to rent a vehicle. Be aware that some companies still run a credit check if you use a debit card. If you join the rental company's reward program (Hertz #1 Club, National/Enterprise Emerald, Avis Wizard), then you generally can avoid the credit check when using a debit card.

I have personally witnessed a person, attempting to rent from Hertz, fail the credit check and was dumbfounded, bewildered, and, quite frankly, at a loss for what to do.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by SadPanda View Post
              I don't have any firsthand experience, but here are a couple of sites with information about renting a car without a credit card: http://www.thrifty.com/car_rental_in...edit_card.aspx and http://instructions.wikihow.com/Rent...-a-Credit-Card

Both sites say that the rental places may perform a credit check if you don't have a credit card (even if you have a debit card). The second site also says, "Understand that a hold will be placed on your debit card for a certain amount until the rental vehicle is returned. This is typically between $200 and $500."
              Thanks for the links. They were helpful!

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
              What about a secured card, lotsa? I personally don't consider that a credit card in the truest sense of the word since you are just charging against your own money. This way you can definitely avoid some of the hassles (credit checks, interminable holds against funds, etc.) associated with traveling with only a debit card. Just a thought.
              I might actually consider that.

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
              Hope all is well with you and yours!!
              Never better! Thanks!

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
              You can rent a car without a credit card. I did after my accident. What they did was take a $250 deposit on my debit card. It was returned once the insurance confirmed that they were paying for the rental.

I booked a vacation on my debit card, as well. It was treated just like a credit card in this case.
              That's good to know. Thanks.

Originally posted by jange View Post
              I have not rented any cars recently, but I have book and paid for hotel rooms using my debit card with no problem. I have 2 different debit cards, one is checking that also has my saving so I use that one. That way if they want to put a hold it, it does not effect my regular checking account.
              Hmmmmm... Good idea.

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              Even if you have sworn off "credit" cards, you should seriously consider a debit card for car rentals. It makes the process much much much better than proving that you have a job, substantial cash deposits, proof of return air, and a lot of legwork just to rent a vehicle. Be aware that some companies still run a credit check if you use a debit card. If you join the rental company's reward program (Hertz #1 Club, National/Enterprise Emerald, Avis Wizard), then you generally can avoid the credit check when using a debit card.
              Yes, I should have mentioned I do have a debit card.

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              I have personally witnessed a person, attempting to rent from Hertz, fail the credit check and was dumbfounded, bewildered, and, quite frankly, at a loss for what to do.
              Eew, really? How embarrassing!
              Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Not only embarrassing as they said this in front of everyone at the Gold desk, but that the Hertz policy doesn't allow compassion.

I remember when a friend of mine called me in a panic because Hertz wouldn't let her rent a car. This was for a one day rental of a full size car. I talked to the Hertz clerk who informed me that the rental reuqired $65 plus a $200 deposit on the credit card. Unfortunately, my friend only had $250 available. Hertz would not budge. So, I just told the Hertz clerk to rent a mid-sized car instead! It dropped the price down to $45 plus the $200 deposit. Voila! Sometimes, being too rigid doesn't allow one to "think" about alternatives.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

i agree with jb here.

we found it impossible to rent a car without a credit or debit card. ( we needed a van when my kids came avisitin) what we did, was we used a credit card to secure the van, so they would not hold our deposit out of checking account, but when it came time to pay we used our debit card. the same with hotel reservations. it's a REAL pain in the butt...but a secured card will do, or if you use you debit they will hold a deposit which stinks, anyway that's what happened here.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I live in Atlanta and have rented several times from Enterprise with a debit card and most recently from Budget (about a month ago). They do require a deposit in addition to a copy of a utility bill and possibly a paystub. I never rent from the airport locations (due to the extra fees). Call the 1-800 number and ask about using a debit card for the specific location you want to rent from. Keep in mind that renting from the neighborhood locations v.s. the airport is sometimes less expensive. I forgot to mention....that you can usually rent up to an suv or minivan - but no premiere cars - like convertibles or Yukons - the pricier suv's.

Comment

I also have rented from Enterprise without a credit card. They required a deposit and I didn't have a utility bill with me, so they had me fill out a card with my employer and insurance information. They used the insurance info to verify my address. They just wanted to make sure I was local and that they can find me if they need to. Call the local office ahead of time to find out their requirements.
                      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

We have rented cars with debit card only (before filing BK last October). Not sure which company it was though. I don't remember any problems at all. I don't remember any credit checks, or anything - but since it was before BK maybe I wouldn't have known if there was a problem????

Comment

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
                          We have rented cars with debit card only (before filing BK last October). Not sure which company it was though. I don't remember any problems at all. I don't remember any credit checks, or anything - but since it was before BK maybe I wouldn't have known if there was a problem????
                          If they are going to run a credit check, they need to tell you and get your permission. If you are a member of the rental company's "preferred" renter program, they typically skip this since they have a bunch of information that you provided to sign up. I have never had a credit check performed while in my Chapter 13, using a debit card.

Comment

I'm toying with the idea of getting a secured credit card. I was just wondering how they work. Do you actually pay it back or, because you put a deposit down on it, is it more like a prepaid debit card?

Originally posted by arlington View Post
                            I live in Atlanta
                            Hello, from a fellow Atlantan! I moved away four years ago, but that's where I was born and raised.
                            Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

A secured credit card is a "credit card". It is neither a prepaid card nor a debit card. The rental car companies (and hotels) do not treat it any differently than a "credit card" that is unsecured. Unlike prepaid cards and debit cards, the secured "credit card" will also report to one or more credit bureaus, which will help build your credit (or rebuild/restore your credit).

I would shop around for a secured credit card. When I exited my Chapter 7, I went to one regional bank and they only gave me 2/3rds of my deposit for my credit limit! So I had to deposit more into a "secured" savings account than the credit line was at. If you shop around, like Capital One or your local credit union, you may be able to get dollar for dollar matching.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X