No announcement yet.

What sayings drive you crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One that bothers me is using the word "momento" to describe a souvenir or something to remember. You hear this all the time - even from TV news anchors, etc.

The word is "memento".

"Momento" is used in Spanish for "moment" - may be more of a Spanglish word - I am not sure on that.

"un momento por favor" = "one moment please".
    Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
    341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
    Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
    Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

Calling something perfectly useful "Legacy".

Everything I own is legacy...
      “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

"Irregardless" instead of Regardless
        "Supposably" instead of Supposedly
        "At this moment in time" instead of Right Now
        Must SALE today
        House needs repainted
        24/7/365
        Quantifying uniqueness ie, That hairsyle is very unique.
        Last edited by GreenInkOnPaper; 11-13-2008, 12:51 PM. Reason: Thought of a couple more...

Comment

"I beg your Pardon?".. For God sake, we are english speakers please (Not French) !!.

"Bless You" (after sneezing)... Why blessed me for what?.. Isn't it too late since I'm already miserably blessed by cold? LOL

Comment

Fun topic!

Originally posted by truckerswife View Post
            My husband is a truck driver and we were on the road for 5 years. The one that always drove me crazy is when, referring to a significant other, someone says "old lady" or "old man". That just sounds very disrespectful to me.
            Yes! This. I live in TX and hear it said all the time. It isn't just you, I find to be very disrespectful as well.

Originally posted by GreenInkOnPaper View Post
            "Irregardless" instead of Regardless
            My husband and I have gone 'round and 'round on this one. Despite the fact that I have shown him "Irregardless" doesn't exist in the dictionary, he often uses it anyway. Sometimes I want to smother him in his sleep when he uses it.

As many others have mentioned, I can't stand "whatever". It isn't that it just drive me crazy; it actually makes me angry when someone uses it in a snotty tone.

I've noticed that a lot of people, particularly on the web, misuse the word "literally". For example: "I literally died when she said that." No, no you did not literally die.

A few others:
            "Sticks in my craw." What does that even mean?
            "The Internet is down." or "The Internet is broke/broken."
            "Weak sauce" This seems to be fairly new, but I already hate it.
            "You know"

Comment

Is it okay to say the internets are down? lol

My daughter, coming from Wall St., had to go to TX for 4 months. She does IT project managing for bank mergers and there was a major merger of two TX banks. The men at the banks kept calling her "the little woman." Need I say more?

A house is saleable, not sellable, or in this economy, never saleable.

And...can you be a little more Pacific?

Comment

I'm pretty easy going and usually don't let these things get to me, but recently Sarah Palin's constant and repetitive "... like... you know... it's like they... you know..." made me WINCE. I actually felt embarrassed for her.
                BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
                  And...can you be a little more Pacific?
                  OOOOHHHHH!!! I hate that!!!! One of the most annoying words people use incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                    Love this thread, although I'm guilty of a few...

I hate it when people say, "I'll tell you the truth"...I want to ask them if they've been lying all long?
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by FLBK7 View Post
                      I'm pretty easy going and usually don't let these things get to me, but recently Sarah Palin's constant and repetitive "... like... you know... it's like they... you know..." made me WINCE. I actually felt embarrassed for her.
                      I actually thought she was extremely well spoken.

Every time I heard, yes we can....I waited for the rest of the verb. The well educated Obama said, "invited Michelle and I", using the nominative case instead of the objective case.

Embarrassed for them? Nah. They are highly accomplished people.

You know?

Comment

"you cant blood from a turnip!"
                        retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                        10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                        09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

'Southron English 101: Coke, Soda or Pop?'
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Southron English 101: Mighty and Powerfully
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"Southron English 101: Fair to Middlin'"

Southron English 101: 'Cattin Around' and 'Scooter-poopin'

When one uses the phrase, "I beg your pardon", one is merely showing respect.

I like the movie "Blast from the Past", and I am reminded of this quote from the movie:
                          "He said, good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them. See, I didn't know that, I thought it was just a way of acting all superior. Oh and you know what else he told me?...I know, I mean I thought a "gentleman" was somebody that owned horses. But it turns out, his short and simple definition of a lady or a gentleman is, someone who always tries to make sure the people around him or her are as comfortable as possible."
                          The Southron culture is unique and special and it is sad that it is often the subject of derision.

"This video shows the historical roots of the the Southern branch of the English language - including its many unique words, unique sound and national origins. It traces our sound back to the West Country of Britain and also the Ulster-Scots and their unique language so closely akin to our own."

'Homeland III: Southron Speech and Language'

Johnny Cash:
                          "Southern Accents"

There's a southern accent,
                          Where I come from.
                          The young'uns call it country,
                          The Yankees call it dumb.
                          I got my own way of talkin',
                          But everything is done,
                          With a southern accent,
                          Where I come from.

Now that drunk-tank in Atlanta,
                          Was just a motel room to me.
                          Think I might go work Orlando,
                          If them orange groves don't freeze.
                          I've got my own way of workin',
                          But everything is run,
                          With a southern accent,
                          Where I come from.

For just a minute there I was dreaming.
                          For just a minute it was all so real.
                          For just a minute she was standing there,
                          With me.

There's a dream I that I keep havin',
                          Where my mama comes to me.
                          And she kneels down over by the window,
                          And says a prayer for me.
                          I got my own way of prayin',
                          And everyone's begun,
                          With a southern accent,
                          Where I come from.

We have our own way of livin',
                          But everything is done,
                          With a southern accent,
                          Where I come from.
                          Last edited by BankruptPinoy; 11-14-2008, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                            did you see this? she has maverick all over the oval office.

go there & click on the pics over the room.
                            Too bad the author forgot to throw bear and moose skins all over the furniture...
                            BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                              did you see this? she has maverick all over the oval office.

go there & click on the pics over the room.
                              LOL Bandit, that was funny. I like the baby names poster. Cashew?

She is such a phenomenal and accomplished woman and has held up well. How many people could hold their head up in the face of such unwarranted criticism? She truly is remarkable. I have the utmost respect for her.

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
                                LOL Bandit, that was funny. I like the baby names poster. Cashew?

She is such a phenomenal and accomplished woman and has held up well. How many people could hold their head up in the face of such unwarranted criticism? She truly is remarkable. I have the utmost respect for her.
                                "You bet cha!"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X