top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone thought about relo outside of United States?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone thought about relo outside of United States?

I do not want to start anything negative. My husband and I had this conversation last night. We have lived in different states in the USA. Most people we meet seem so unhappy and stressed. Hus and I were thinking about our childhoods back in the 1970's and we do not remember people being like this. We knew our neighbors, kids played outside, parents had cookouts, ect. I do not see this happening any more. Is there anyplace in the world where people are still happy. We do not have to be rich. We would rather be surrounded by happy people and a beautiful locale. I would like our dollars to go a little further. Maybe cheaper medical costs and good weather. Also a low crime rate and of course, natural beauty. Am I asking too much? Lets discuss!

I have done some travel to Canada, Mexico, and Europe. They are all nice places to visit, but I honestly wouldn't want to live in any place other than the United States. The only places that came anywhere close to the U.S. in terms of standard of living were Canada (which has horrible winters) and Finland (which also has terrible winters).

No matter how bad it gets here, our standard of living will always be as high or perhaps higher than any other country out there.

It's why so many people throughout the world want to come here.

As far as happiness goes, you can't control the minds other people and make them happy, but you yourself can decide to be happy.

I think it was Lincoln who said, "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

So, rather than looking for happiness from other people, look within and make yourself happy.

As for the happiest state to live in, of all the ones I have been to, Hawaii seemed to have the happiest people. Arizona, until recently, was also a very happy place. Bad economic conditions do tend to make people unhappy.

I'm just so glad I'm still alive, that nothing can bring me down right now.
    Last edited by GoingDown; 06-20-2011, 06:42 AM.
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

If I could afford it, I would leave tomorrow and I heard if you leave for ten years you can come back and have all you debt cleared up? Is this really true?

Comment

Originally posted by LostItAll2 View Post
        If I could afford it, I would leave tomorrow and I heard if you leave for ten years you can come back and have all you debt cleared up? Is this really true?
        I don't think so.

The statute of limitations might toll if they know you have left the country.

And is it practical? If you are having trouble affording to live here, can you afford to move to a different country and start a new life there? And you need to remember that other countries may not want you to move there. Many of them have very strict immigration policies.

Comment

Originally posted by LostItAll2 View Post
          there has been some previous discussion about that very point, if you leave for 10 years, all your debt will be erased...or if you file in another country. i'm not sure about any of that really. i think many saddled with high student loan debt are so desperately seeking some type of relief since our courts will not discharge those debts.

i really don't know the reality of the truth if you move it will help get rid of debt. i for one love the USA and am willing to face whatever comes my way...good or bad..
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I really like Maui. Not cheap to live there. My other place i like is Carson city NV. Yes, I would like to move to some other place but I am in my 60's and my kids and grand kids are here in the USA.

Comment

Debtisbad - Western Europe has VERY high standard of living (as does Canada, Australia, etc.) BUT not "cheap." Denmark is the "happiest" place on earth according to the OECD.

If you are serious about this, there are a lot of US expats in Costa Rica, Belize (a lot of Brits there too - used to be British Honduras) and believe it or not, Nicaragua. If you google and google there are ways to get there and live well....

Costa Rica is a thriving democracy, good standard of living, and Nicaragua has well put its civil war in the past, and is doing reasonably well. Belize is small, laid back, and nice. If you're on SS/pension, this may be away to go...they cannot collect on you there!

HOWEVER - if you have "exposed" assets in the US, that's...fair game...

Originally posted by debtisbad View Post
              I do not want to start anything negative. My husband and I had this conversation last night. We have lived in different states in the USA. Most people we meet seem so unhappy and stressed. Hus and I were thinking about our childhoods back in the 1970's and we do not remember people being like this. We knew our neighbors, kids played outside, parents had cookouts, ect. I do not see this happening any more. Is there anyplace in the world where people are still happy. We do not have to be rich. We would rather be surrounded by happy people and a beautiful locale. I would like our dollars to go a little further. Maybe cheaper medical costs and good weather. Also a low crime rate and of course, natural beauty. Am I asking too much? Lets discuss!

Comment

I would never move from here. Family is the most important thing in the world to me and mine are all here. I have great neighbors who are like family, we still have cookouts every major holiday and my family will all gather for Christmas eve, that will never change. And yes, kids play outside where I live!

My mother and father have both passed away, with my father going in 09. One of the last things we promised him was we would all stick together and be here for each other. We have always been close and intend to stay that way. The only family member who has left PA is my only son and he is in NJ, that still upsets us all. But he gets home on a regular basis as he also knows the value of family.

I sometimes think the reason so many people are unhappy (putting the economy aside) is that there is to much value placed on material things and they forget the simple values of life. Family, friends and good health should be the most important things. Without those, we have nothing. In fact, my son is the main reason I am in BK and on this forum. I spent my life savings and ran my cards up to fed him and his family, keep a roof over their heads and etc. for two years because nobody would help as long as he owned a home, he was a subconractor and could not get unemployment. I also paid alot of my fathers medical bills while he had brain cancer so that he could have the best treatment available to him. And trust me, they did not live above their means, he lost his business, spent his savings and could not get unemployment. I would do it again for any family member.

I believe happiness comes from within and as GoingDown said, you have to make your own.
                Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                341 5/23/11
                DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

IamOld: What's the income requirement for moving to Belize? At one time I think it was 3K a month?? I don't no about now.

Comment

Good question Dylan - I don't know...I think google may be needed here :-) Here is one that states $30K in income/year...

http://board.belizetotal.com/Expat/Immigration_Requirements_in_Belize

Comment

I know this is a bit off-topic (as Trieste is NOT!! cheap) but this is the way to live my friends!!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...e-sleep-eat-do

Comment

My husband used to travel the world on business and visited many places...he always used to say when he came home from various places that he wished he could send our kids to live there for three weeks to open their eyes and make them appreciate what they had here.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Of course a relocation abroad assumes you have no plans on working. Getting permission to work (i.e. the equivalent of a U.S. green card) is a long, long process unless you're sponsored by an employer for purposes of the relocation. Some countries, like Spain (I think it was), require that you live in the country for 7 years before beginning the process of requesting a work permit. This puts the brakes on landing any type of career-oriented professional work for 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by DAE View Post
                            Of course a relocation abroad assumes you have no plans on working. Getting permission to work (i.e. the equivalent of a U.S. green card) is a long, long process unless you're sponsored by an employer for purposes of the relocation. Some countries, like Spain (I think it was), require that you live in the country for 7 years before beginning the process of requesting a work permit. This puts the brakes on landing any type of career-oriented professional work for 7 years.
                            TRUE - the thing with me is that some of my p/t jobs are online, so I could theoretically "retire" to Costa Rica or Belize IF those P/T jobs were "certain" which they are not...and of course there is the issue of the kids...BUT BUT BUT...you've planted a thought in my head now...sort of like in Inception :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                              My husband used to travel the world on business and visited many places...he always used to say when he came home from various places that he wished he could send our kids to live there for three weeks to open their eyes and make them appreciate what they had here.
                              I agree.

Every trip I have ever been on, one constant thing is that I am always so happy when I get back home.

It doesn't matter whether I'm driving back or flying back. When I first see the familiar landmarks and mountains, I get this overwhelmingly wonderful feeling. It happens every time.

This is a truly wonderful place to live, and I am so happy I have the privilige of spending the rest of my life right here.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X