top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Black Friday, etc., a bad temptation now that you have gone through BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Black Friday, etc., a bad temptation now that you have gone through BK?

I was watching a news report about these folks that get into this Black Friday tradition. They wait overnight in the cold to get into the store at 4:00 AM, and then make a crazy rush to go to specific locations to pick up the item they want to buy. I even think I heard something about a store staff member somewhere who was tramped to death one year!

It seems that for someone who was predisposed to this shopping frenzy, this could cause her (I used the feminine because it seemed like most of the folks doing this were women) to spend a lot more than she can ultimately afford, ending up with her filing for bankruptcy. And after the bankruptcy, I could see her, with her new CC's getting right back in to the frenzy, and thus a bad temptation for her.

I used to be that person not this year. Did not go out till around 10 am and with only a certain amount of cash got what I wanted and left. It was a good feeling

Comment

I would imagine that he would have an issue with spending and forgot how to act appropriately.

I found your use of she to be offensive. S/he (for she and he) would have been better. Because I saw men behaving extremely poorly as well. And, to be honest, there's simply no way to tell which gender outnumbered the other. Kind of one big mesh of people behaving poorly.

This is the first year that I went out on Black Friday. And I saved $20 on something that would have cost me more when I had planned on buying it in the spring. I took advantage of the other Black Friday deals online. And I am done with my Christmas shopping. Next year, I will be finished before Thanksgiving. I hate going out after Thanksgiving. Too many people.

Comment

I too took offense at the assumption that these shoppers are mostly women. The one time I went Black Friday shopping there were plenty of men out there as well acting like fools. I also think it is ridiculous to believe that black friday shopping will lead to bankruptcy. I no longer participate in black friday at all since it now actually starts on Thanksgiving, ridiculous! Since we filed we have reevaluated what we actually need and most of the time we find we can do without a particular item and spend far less than we ever did before.

Comment

I was out there on Thursday night. I don't have the kids on Thanksgiving, so I went. I got a fire pit. One that I refused to pay $60 for last spring (I also wished I had bought it back during the Christmas season when it was the same price as what I got it for on Thursday) and this is the only time that it goes on sale for a price that I am willing to pay. Since I was out, I finished most of my shopping. Nobody behaved poorly like you see in those videos online.

I didn't need one, but the kids and I are going to enjoy the roasted marshmallows for many summers.

Comment

So many things about Black Friday disturb me, I refuse to participate. Thinking of people required to work on the holiday (many stores were open here on Thanksgiving,) has been bad enough, but the over 10 pounds of sales flyers that came with Wed.'s paper and went right into the recycle bin reeeaally bothered me. Seriously, it weighed more than our cat.

Comment

I'd like a firepit. Can you help me out, helpmeout, with details? tia!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

There is not one thing about sales and specials that motivates me to even think about rushing to the stores. In fact, I have not been into any major retailer since Wednesday.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I always have my Christmas shopping done by the end of October every year. I do not do the Black Friday thing. Never have and never will. In fact I wont go into any store (except the grocery store) from Nov 23 to Dec 26. I also don't do Cyber Monday either. Just nothing I need that bad that will cause me to spend money needlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                    I'd like a firepit. Can you help me out, helpmeout, with details? tia!
                    I got it at Target for $40. You may be able to get it online and if you have a Target Red Card (even debit, which is what I have, is accepted online now) the shipping is free on top of the 5% off.

Comment

I have never enjoyed shopping to begin with. My daughter drug me out one time for Black Friday and it was beyond awful. Never again. I have other vices to deal with but shopping is not one of them.
                      Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
                      Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

The TV deals were killin' me! Ours died this year, so my small one is now our main one. We don't go out for movies, and work late hours, so that's our chill out cheap entertainment. So if I had cash, I would have gotten a TV, but didn't, so I'll get a deal somewhere when I do have the $$.

Yes, the Thanksgiving Day sales are pretty gross. People should have that day off. When I worked in the service industry, I worked all holidays. But I expected that and it's nice that people can go out to eat on holidays. But they they can wait til the next day to shop.

And I agree, "she" was definitely the wrong thing to say. "More men than women went shopping on Black Friday weekend, and men outspent women...the unusually high male turnout can be attributed in part to the fact more stores had midnight openings this year." -2011 http://abcnews.go.com/Business/men-w...0#.ULJonYWRJG8
                        BK7 Filed 7/10/12 • 341 8/15/12 • Discharged 10/17/12 • Closed 5/6/13 Thanks to everyone here!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuagraham View Post
                          I was watching a news report about these folks that get into this Black Friday tradition. They wait overnight in the cold to get into the store at 4:00 AM, and then make a crazy rush to go to specific locations to pick up the item they want to buy.

I've seen this, too, and all I think about this is "what a bunch of idiots." The minimal amount they will save on these items is simply not worth it to me. The best way to save money is to mainly buy only what you really need, and then save up for bigger items until you can truly afford it, and then just buy it with cash. I keep saying this, but it is true. Buying everything with cash has saved me a huge amount of money. It is much harder to part with cash than it is to just swipe a credit card or a debit card. There are no more impulse buys for me. And sometimes, I don't bring enough cash with to the store, and I have to ask the cashier to put some things back. That really lets me know which things on my list are essential and which ones I didn't really need, and probably shouldn't have bought anyways.

I even think I heard something about a store staff member somewhere who was tramped to death one year!

No amount of savings is worth that. These people are acting like animals rather than civilized humans. It's sick. The staff member should sue the store for encouraging this behavior.

It seems that for someone who was predisposed to this shopping frenzy, this could cause her (I used the feminine because it seemed like most of the folks doing this were women) to spend a lot more than she can ultimately afford, ending up with her filing for bankruptcy. And after the bankruptcy, I could see her, with her new CC's getting right back in to the frenzy, and thus a bad temptation for her.
                          Here's what I did on the morning after Thanksgiving. I did not even go to any stores. I slept in and then had a leisurely walk through the neighborhood. It is finally really nice weather in Phoenix again. It's a great time for a walk or a bike ride.
                          The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                          "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                          Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by angel7821 View Post
                            I always have my Christmas shopping done by the end of October every year. I do not do the Black Friday thing. Never have and never will. In fact I wont go into any store (except the grocery store) from Nov 23 to Dec 26. I also don't do Cyber Monday either. Just nothing I need that bad that will cause me to spend money needlessly.
                            I get my shopping over very early, too, but all I do is buy gift cards for my young relatives. I figure what they like, and then get them a gift card to that store, or to that online store and then when it comes time to send out the Christmas cards, I stick the gift card in there and poof! I'm done! And I never go over my budget.

It's quick. It's easy. And from what I hear from their parents, they actually look forward to my Christmas card coming in the mail, because it has something they want inside of it.
                            The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                            "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                            Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

I never have shopped on black Friday and never will. Traffic and crowds are bad enough throughout the holiday shopping period. I have no desire to be out in the worst of it.

And people who go out shopping on Thanksgiving should re-evaluate their priorities, IMO. The people who were sitting in lines on Wednesday should have their heads examined!
                              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X