top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check from Car Repair: cash it, or use for car repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Check from Car Repair: cash it, or use for car repair?

Hi everyone.
    shipo and justbroke - this question is mainly for you but other folks: please chime in with your own experiences as well.
    Recently another person backed into Zombie13's used 2019 Mazda CX-5. The check is just under $1000.
    Damage is on the right side, front fender, not very noticeable to us. There is additional damage unrelated to the accident, on other parts of the vehicle: rear bumper, right side - when Zombie13 backed into a short flower pot in a parking lot; rear bumper, right side - tail light has a piece missing; one door has a ding, probably from a shopping cart. We plan to keep the vehicle for another 3 years or so. This means, when we do trade in the car, it will be at least 8 years old. So, my question is this: is it worth repairing the one section of the car, when the remaining damage will persist? Additionally, if the damage is repaired, there is a probability the same area could get damaged again, thus rendering the repair pointless.
    If the damage is not repaired, how much would the trade in value be affected? We are leaning toward just depositing the check in our bank account, since we own the CX-5 outright, and the check is in Zombie13's name.
    Thanks!

shipo will probably say keep the money in a rainy-day fund and don't look back. I'd probably agree with that.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If the damage was the only blemish on an otherwise clean car, I'd have it repaired. In the case of your car, yeah, I agree with justbroke, keep the cash.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X