Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DoorDash and Part time work as needed

Hello,

I am 7 months into our chp 13 plan. Making the trustee payment is fine. I acually started door dashing for extra money as needed. This is to help pay for food, clothing, and bills. Is it allowed to work Part time as needed after you case is confirmed? This is not a steady income and is variable.

There are lots of possible answers to your question, but I have one for you; how do you get paid from DoorDash? Is it cash, a check with money taken out for taxes, or on a 1099 basis?
    Latent car nut.

Comment

You get paid as you dash or weekly. It is a 1099.

Comment

Okay, next question, will your 1099 earnings be over 10% of your regular salary?
        Latent car nut.

Comment

No not at all

Comment

I calculated and it was not near that.

Comment

Then you are probably good to go. Others here whom are more authoritative than I am have posted 10% is pretty much the minimum threshold before the Trustee even remotely takes interest.

In my case, my income rose over 36% during the 5-years of my Chapter 13, including one year where it rose 9%, and my Trustee didn't bat an eyelash.
              Latent car nut.

Comment

Thank you, That is good to know. Much appreciated.

Comment

This is really a question for your lawyer, who I hope has a lot of past experience with your specific trustee. You're hoping that your lawyer's experience with your trustee is in-line with what others have seen. The best case scenario is that the lawyer has never had a client's budget adjusted unilaterally upwards after confirmation with trustee XYZ. Unfortunately, there are trustees out there that will take the Doordash money (or your raise) and give it all to your unsecured creditors.

Comment

I agree with flashoflight. During my chapter 13 I was offered a part time job in addition to my full time one. I contacted my attorney and was told it was ok as I was in a 100 percent payback plan. If you aren’t and if you have to give copies of your tax returns to the trustee, it might be a good idea to call and check with your attorney..better to be upfront.
                    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
                    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I think our paperwork from the attorney (not the confirmation/legal papers) about BK they asked that we notify them if we have a significant increase in pay. Now I don't know what the definition of significant is, but I would think less than 10% is not significant. You can always contact your attorney just have your question short and sweet not to waste their time (that seems to make a more pleasant experience when I call ) My husband received $700 for the asbestos settlement (his father died of lung disease and had worked with asbestos and my sister in law entered him in the class action lawsuit). The attorney's office acted like $700 was NOTHING, but it was quite valuable to us!
                      I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X