Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!) (updated: 04/28/2015)

Welcome to the Bankruptcy Forum. Bankruptcy (BK) Forum is known as BKForum.com and will be referred to as BKF hereinafter. In order to ensure a long term success of our vibrant community, we have established certain rules and guidelines to which everyone must adhere to. Please take your time to carefully read our rules, before you start to participate in the community.

Things you agree to do:
BKFORUM.com (BKF) users agree to use the search function before starting a new thread. This prevents duplicate discussions and allows for better organized topics.

All BKF users agree to read the sticky posts which may be available at the top of a forum page. These Sticky posts often contain valuable information. They may also outline more rules and guidelines specific for that particular forum, stickies are put in place by that forums moderator(s) or admin(s).

Things you agree not to do:

All BKF users agree not to call people names or write a post simply to make a personal attack, or get a negative reaction; this behavior is not allowed on our forum. The use of derogatory language aimed at anyone will be severely dealt with. There is no need to agree with each other, or to even like each other. However, by signing onto BKForum.com you agree to treat each member and guest with the respect they deserve. No threats or personal attacks will be allowed.

All BKF users agree not to discuss, engage, or encourage any behavior or activity which violates the law. Discussion of drugs, violence, murder, theft, vandalism, fraud or any other issue which could be used to help individuals break the law is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to "bump" old threads, unless there is a specific benefit to the community by doing so. But in most cases, please don't post in very old threads, instead start new threads.

All BKF users agree not to attempt/use another members account. It is against BKF rules to use any account other than your own. Impersonating another member will result in an immediate ban. It is also against the rules to open more than one account in your own name without permission from a moderator or administrator. If you have been banned for any reason, it is against the rules to open another account. If you were banned temporarily and you are caught using another account you will be banned permanently. Choosing a moniker which is similar in either sound or spelling as a moderator or administrator is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to private message any moderator, admin, or other member with questions related to their personal circumstances (Questions about the forum or issues with the forum are ok). This forum only works when members share their experience and insights with everyone.

Things you agree not to post:
All BKF users agree not to post any derogatory/racist/or sexist remarks. This includes attachments, links and all information contained within posts, signatures, and avatars, failure to comply with this rule will result in a permanent ban.

All BKF users agree not to post any copyrighted or trademarked information without the express written permission of the owner(s) / proper citation of source.

All BKF users agree not to post any real names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, social security numbers, or any other personal details (their own or other people's).

All BKF users agree not to post links, pictures, attachments, videos, or the like of pornographic content, objectionable material or extreme violence, whether cartoon or real.

All BKF users agree not to use BKF for advertising purposes without a written contract between yourself/company/agent and the administration of BKF. Blatant advertising will result in a ban.

All BKF users agree not to spam the forums. Spam includes but is not limited to posting erroneous, non-relevant-useless, off-topic, or meaningless posts. Spam may also include posts which contain no text, or large areas of blank space between lines. Simply posting emoticons without text is considered spam. BKF is the largest bankruptcy message board and all the content is intended to help other users. Please help us improve the quality of our forum by making sure that your posts are well-worded, spell checked, grammatically correct and syntaxed.

Regarding actions of moderators and administrators:

The forum is no place to air out your opinion or be judgmental of our staff and its capabilities.

All BKF users agree not to abuse or mistreat moderators or administrators. It is against BKF rules to post any information regarding bans or any other action taken by a member of the moderating or administrative team. If you wish to discuss bans or warnings please do so via PM. To place a complaint against a moderator, send a PM to a super moderator. All Moderators are equal, any decision made by a moderator must be adhered to. If a moderator tells you something you do not like, do not go to another moderator looking for a different answer. If you are caught doing this you will be banned. The moderators work as a team and respect the decisions made by their peers and will help enforce them unless an administrator tells them differently.
If you have an issue with how the forum is run, then notify one of our administrator and we will look into the situation. We have in the past and still do appreciate any input that you offer this forum. But critical input and/or judgmental postings towards the staff will result in you getting banned.


Should you find a thread offensive or out of line, then notify a Mod in a PM so they can evaluate the situation and do the action deemed necessary.

All moderators do have active "other" lives outside of the forum and help moderate this forum in their spare time throughout the days and weeks.

If you have a problem with a member or Mod follow the proper channels of reporting it.

BKF reserves the right to delete any posts which contain anti-BKF comments or discussion. Any bashing of moderators or administrators, or any of their discussion or actions will also be deleted, and the responsible posting party(s) will be banned. Any public anti-BKF advertising, communication, or posts on another forum will result in permanent bans as well.

All warnings and bans are decided by individual moderators and administrators. Warnings are preferable to bans however, for serious offenses and repeat abusers bans will go into effect. The length of the bans can vary from several hours to permanent.

All messages posted or sent including through PM are the property of BKforum.com.

All BKF users agree not to advertiser on the forum (Niether by posting, private messaging or using your signature). If you are a company/attorney/legal adviser wishing to advertise on the site or sell a product, you must contact the head administrator and inquire about our advertising packages.

All bankruptcy related opinions expressed on BKForum.com are those of their authors and not necessarily of BKF, its staff or representatives.

You agree not to copy any material/post/content from BKF without written permission from our head administrator .

By posting on this forum you agree to these terms and conditions, including any punishment deemed appropriate by moderators or administrators in the event of an offense.

Administrators/Moderators can change these rules at any time without prior notice.
See more
See less

My Chapter 7 experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Chapter 7 experience

    Hello,
    I thought I would share my experience as I know I was on these forums seeking others advice and experiences which helped.

    We filed a joint chapter 7 in 2018 with around 250k debt including IRS taxes, all debts were successfully discharged around 4 months later.

    The whole process whilst it went smooth no issues, was a pretty stressful time given the amount of debt ( mainly worrying about not being succesful )

    What I did to make it as smooth as possible, before filing I did lots of research it really helps !

    Here are my tips

    * Research before filing, things like state exemptions, credit card activity before filing etc..
    .
    * Under no circumstances try to file yourself unless you simply cannot afford a lawyer, it is stressful enough with one, and doing it yourself without knowing the system and not understanding the forms and procedures would be like walking through a minefield.

    * Get a well established bankruptcy lawyer with excellent reviews, these guys will have processed many claims and know the system people in courts etc..

    * Even with aid of lawyer, stay on top of everything ( bear in mind most work is handled by clerks ) for example I scanned in docs provided for me by lawyer and edit typed everything in rather then handwriting to ensure accuracy.

    * Plan your filing around your finances.

    * Quit ALL credit card activity at least 3 months before filing, do NOT cash and credit card cheques within 6 months of filing.

    * Do not go on any spending purges before filing, spend as like you have normally been spending.

    * Do not miss court appointments or lawyer appointments for that matter, you want this over ASAP.

    * Do not over stress yourself, if you need go Dr for some temp Xanax or something do it.

    If you guys have any questions or worries I'm happy to answer based on my experience and knowledge of Chapter 7, I am not a lawyer so my advice is what it is advice, you should always ask your lawyer before going forth with any actions.






  • #2
    Originally posted by celticswing View Post
    Hello,
    I thought I would share my experience as I know I was on these forums seeking others advice and experiences which helped.

    We filed a joint chapter 7 in 2018 with around 250k debt including IRS taxes, all debts were successfully discharged around 4 months later.

    The whole process whilst it went smooth no issues, was a pretty stressful time given the amount of debt ( mainly worrying about not being succesful )

    What I did to make it as smooth as possible, before filing I did lots of research it really helps !

    Here are my tips

    * Research before filing, things like state exemptions, credit card activity before filing etc..
    .
    * Under no circumstances try to file yourself unless you simply cannot afford a lawyer, it is stressful enough with one, and doing it yourself without knowing the system and not understanding the forms and procedures would be like walking through a minefield.

    * Get a well established bankruptcy lawyer with excellent reviews, these guys will have processed many claims and know the system people in courts etc..

    * Even with aid of lawyer, stay on top of everything ( bear in mind most work is handled by clerks ) for example I scanned in docs provided for me by lawyer and edit typed everything in rather then handwriting to ensure accuracy.

    * Plan your filing around your finances.

    * Quit ALL credit card activity at least 3 months before filing, do NOT cash and credit card cheques within 6 months of filing.

    * Do not go on any spending purges before filing, spend as like you have normally been spending.

    * Do not miss court appointments or lawyer appointments for that matter, you want this over ASAP.

    * Do not over stress yourself, if you need go Dr for some temp Xanax or something do it.

    If you guys have any questions or worries I'm happy to answer based on my experience and knowledge of Chapter 7, I am not a lawyer so my advice is what it is advice, you should always ask your lawyer before going forth with any actions.




    Thank you for this information... this helps a lot. We are wanting to file chapter 7 and I am very worried. Many here have been awesome at helping ease my mind and letting me know I am over thinking things way too much. I am mostly just worried about them finding that we have too much disposable income, but our lawyer seems to think and in his own words, "if we aren't making 100K then we can file a 7". We are below median, thank goodness, but the last 6 months include my husbands over time and this year we have made more money than we ever have because of the over time. My husband doesn't seem worried, but my nature is to worry. We have one credit card that we racked up $3000 on since July and I used it for several purchases in October and two in November. I called the lawyers office and she told me as long as it wasn't luxury charges like a vacation then not to worry about it. But I still do. It was mostly Walmart and Target shopping and Groceries.

    One thing I am curious about is, on the day we file and we have X amount of money in checking/savings and the very next day my husbands check goes into the bank, what does that mean or what happens? Because his check goes in every week. I also get paid weekly too, but i have to deposit my check in.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lkhmom View Post
      We have one credit card that we racked up $3000 on since July and I used it for several purchases in October and two in November. I called the lawyers office and she told me as long as it wasn't luxury charges like a vacation then not to worry about it. But I still do. It was mostly Walmart and Target shopping and Groceries.
      Heed your attorney's advice and stop worrying asb out this. A creditor could only complain if it were for luxury goods, and living, feeding yourself and family, while providing a roof over the heads is never ever ever considered "luxury" to any court. I accidentally even used my gasoline cards days after filing. Not a word. The bankruptcy code is pretty clear about this and, again, is why your attorney says to stop worrying about that.

      Originally posted by lkhmom View Post
      One thing I am curious about is, on the day we file and we have X amount of money in checking/savings and the very next day my husbands check goes into the bank, what does that mean or what happens? Because his check goes in every week. I also get paid weekly too, but i have to deposit my check in.
      Chapter 7 bankruptcy is based on what you had in your checking account the day you filed. If you live in a State where you can exempt any other money, your attorney will do that. Your attorney is not just licensed to practice law, but they are admitted to practice bankruptcy cases in the Federal Bankruptcy court and they are skilled. I don't believe there is anything I would tell you to help you relax, but you have an attorney that is telling you not to worry.

      Just let your attorney know exactly what is going on and when money will appear in your bank (or when you get paid). They will take appropriate steps to strategically file or they will exempt the money.

      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Status: (Auto) Discharged and Closed! 5/10
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog


      I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

      Comment


      • #4
        Understand the worry, been there, given my amount of debt I did everything to make this go through without issue,
        I wanted trustee glance through my paper see no avanues of further exploration get his fee and move on to the next one.
        As far as your points of worry Justbroke's post above should be helpful.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Heed your attorney's advice and stop worrying asb out this. A creditor could only complain if it were for luxury goods, and living, feeding yourself and family, while providing a roof over the heads is never ever ever considered "luxury" to any court. I accidentally even used my gasoline cards days after filing. Not a word. The bankruptcy code is pretty clear about this and, again, is why your attorney says to stop worrying about that.

          Chapter 7 bankruptcy is based on what you had in your checking account the day you filed. If you live in a State where you can exempt any other money, your attorney will do that. Your attorney is not just licensed to practice law, but they are admitted to practice bankruptcy cases in the Federal Bankruptcy court and they are skilled. I don't believe there is anything I would tell you to help you relax, but you have an attorney that is telling you not to worry.

          Just let your attorney know exactly what is going on and when money will appear in your bank (or when you get paid). They will take appropriate steps to strategically file or they will exempt the money.
          Thanks again! I have done better today and starting to feel a little normal again. Since we haven't paid our creditors the stress of making sure they were paid before my children had enough food is gone. And my daughter needs leggings or tights for her dresses for church and I am going to have money this weekend to go and buy her leggings so her legs aren't freezing anymore. The burden and stress is finally lifting.

          Comment


          • #6
            You'll get through this, just as we all have. Take comfort in knowing that we have been there too and that we understand exactly how you're feeling. We don't need to guess, wonder, or empathize since we've been there. I don't know if there's a worse feeling than not being able to provide for your children and you feel the weight and pressure of paying creditors.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Status: (Auto) Discharged and Closed! 5/10
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog


            I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

            Comment

            Unconfigured Ad Widget

            Collapse
            Working...
            X