can't record phone convo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question can't record phone convo's

ok so here we go. the payday lender is telling me that the sheriff is on the way to come get me and that i will be going to jail for fraud!!! i am not shaken by this as i know it's a civil matter and not a criminal one. FF i live in commieforina and the law here states that i have to inform the party on the other end that i am recording them a huge drawback meaning the collectors will be on there best and not threatening. is there a way to catch these punks as i want to turn around and sue them!!! i know there using illegal tactics to scare me well i am not scared!!! i am quite frankly amused i'm not gonna start worrying unless i do get sued and even then the bk will wipe it out

I wonder if you can send a blanket letter to the payday lender stating any and all calls with them will be recorded.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
      I wonder if you can send a blanket letter to the payday lender stating any and all calls with them will be recorded.
      i didn't think of that. i'll have to ask my lawyer if that's possible good thinking shippo. though it would be nice to if they did try and scare me so i could sue em

Comment

I love it when they say stupid things like "the Sheriff is coming to arrest you." I answer... "I'm having dinner at his mom's house, with him, on Sunday. Have them stop by around 5PM. She makes a wonderful casserole."
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          I love it when they say stupid things like "the Sheriff is coming to arrest you." I answer... "I'm having dinner at his mom's house, with him, on Sunday. Have them stop by around 5PM. She makes a wonderful casserole."
          i have a CC company saying they got won a judgment against me and they won News to me i never knew about it) will be calling the courts tomorrow!!! now there telling me they can put some form in to get the sheriff to walk through my house and take inventory of what i have to pay off the debt. i will be calling my lawyer tomorrow that's a violation. this crap is becoming a fulltime job. thing will get interesting once the payday lender starts calling. i think back in 07 i had a collector threaten that they were sending the sheriff out to arrest me. so like a smart ass i went down stairs and looked for the sheriff LOL. the collector waited on the phone with me as he so called was supossed to show up!!! 10 minutes went by i told the collector give him another 5 mins and he will be there to arrest you and put you in jail . after 5 minutes went by i told the collector that he might want to call the sheriff's dept again and to see where he is. he was like they will be there to arrest you he refused to call em. then i turned around and told that nitwit that he was in violation and that i was going to sue his sorry ass. and i recorded the whole convo. i never heard anyone swallow there pride so fast and hang up LMAO
          Last edited by yourfired; 06-13-2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

yourfired have you actually filed bankruptcy? If not, a Writ of Execution, issued to the Sheriff after a Judgment has been entered against you, is not a violation. The question is, was there a lawsuit? Were you notified? Did you avoid service? How was service achieved? Was it a default judgment? When was the judgment entered?

You need an attorney if you have not filed bankruptcy. Collection on a judgment can always lead to garnishment and levy actions. The first thing to do is to validate the judgment, then figure out if service was improper. You would likely need an attorney to get to the bottom of this.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

• yourfired
              yourfired commented
              Editing a comment
              i have no idea about it that's what the CC co told me. i have not been avoiding anyone they all know that i plan to nuke em in a BK. i just retained a good BK lawyer and am on a payment plan. i have to call the courts tomorrow and see if there was a judgment entered on me. no one else in my house got any paperwork to give me also. i am thinking it's the CC co sprouting off to scare me into paying???

yourfired sometimes a summary judgment could be entered against you, but the summary judgment was improperly served. There are different ways to do service of a lawsuit especially if the person can't be located. Those other ways could be posting or they could actually list it in the newspaper for some period of time (by notice).

And yes, they could be sprouting off what could happen if there was a judgment entered against you. I don't know but threats are not allowed under the federal FDCPA and some of the unfair and deceptive practices laws for your State. If you're going to file for bankruptcy soon, no need to worry. But I'd ask my BK attorney if they can "handle" this debt collector. Usually a Bk attorney will inform their client to direct all future debt collection calls to the attorney's office.

Comment

• yourfired
              yourfired commented
              Editing a comment
              called the courts and the clerk said there was nothing i think there screwing with me. i was never served papers or nothing. my lawyers taking care of it

I had 8 lawsuits against me and phone calls every 15 minutes. I never answer my phone from numbers not on my contact list, so I didn't refer any of them to my attorney until I filed. I needed to delay my chapter 13 for a short while but I did not want any to put a lien on my house or garnish my wages. One put a lien on my house and I had to pay extra to remove it during the early weeks of the bankruptcy. Go on a beans and rice budget to raise the BK lawyer money faster, press the button to launch the nuke, and move on. Your phone will thank you with the cessation of phone calls and the ridiculous threats of the sheriff coming into your home to confiscate your used underwear.

Comment

id'e tell em i'll meet you at the poilce station and you can serve me there. that makes em fall out of there chair real fast and hang up. i told one to suck my your not getting shit outta me am filing a no asset chapter 7 so all judements will be disolved. he just about fell out his seat. as i told him walking away from 100k of debt is a good business trans action. i could hear his jaw drop. then i told him to spend your money trying to collect. the i said i was suing for him calling me before 8 am along with if he kept those behaviours up i would make sure that him and his family are homeless
              Last edited by yourfired; 06-18-2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfired View Post
                ...if he kept those behaviours up i would make sure that him and his family are homeless
                I think that's flipping the table on them. However neither he nor his family would be responsible. The employer bears the responsibility for an FDCPA or unfair and deceptive practices claim. These aggressive collection companies know not to cross a certain line. Despite that knowledge, they'll walk right up to the line and jump over it knowing that a few fines are not going to hurt them in the long run ($1,000 per lawsuit -- not violation -- may be worth it?).

The easier (best) place to deal with collection companies is in bankruptcy! I dealt with one that was dunning me after filing and I won over $2,400 as a settlement on a motion for sanctions. If I had done that in federal district court, it would have only been $1,000, and the procedures and filing fees make it more difficult to even want to start a suit. Most people go to a consumer attorney for these types of issues (outside bankruptcy).

Yes. Bankruptcy is the nuclear option. But don't threaten to use it if you're not going to file very soon. If you tell certain creditors that you are going to file bankruptcy to wipe out your balance, they'll just "race to the courthouse steps" to get a judgment lien before you file. That judgment lien may be difficult to remove (given certain conditions) and they would have won. Not just won the balance, but all the additional costs to have file that judgment lien and then defended it in the bankruptcy court.

It's better yelling at them when you already filed. Yelling at them when you haven't filed could be playing with fire.

Comment

It depends on the state. When I was approaching my Chapter 7, my legal residence was in a state in which it was legal to record a conversation and not tell the other party. In a similar way that the debt collectors would give out their spiel about how they record everything, I would state that in my state, it is completely legal for me to record the conversation and not even tell it to the other party. That got a lot of them to hang up.

Comment

You cant record conversations but you can take good notes, write up an affidavit/Declaration, and get it notarized. This is a stronger form of evidence than 'he said , she said'.

Not only that but I like to tell people : ' just so i heard you clearly, you said xyz correct? Is there anything else you want to add to the affidavit/Declaration i am writing up? It will be helpful to refresh you memory in your potential future deposition." That shuts up morons real quick OR it triggers them to say more stupid stuff.

Affidavit/Declaration are easy to write. The downside is the cost of notarizing. But consider it cost of affidavit I guess.

The court system needs a recognizable blockchain notary system. Then we can upload all kinds of timestamp facts and utterances (like property inventory lists in bankruptcy)
                    Last edited by bornfree2; 02-17-2022, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfree2 View Post
                      You cant record conversations but you can take good notes...
                      Only partially correct, in some states you can record any and all conversations with impunity; in others you cannot.
                      Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
                        Only partially correct, in some states you can record any and all conversations with impunity; in others you cannot.
                        Most States are one-party consent, meaning so long as one person knows they are being recorded then it's fair. Always check with your specific State laws. I live in one of only about 15 States that requires all parties to agree to be recorded.

This is why calling most business they have the disclaimer that they record all calls and if you don't want to be recorded, then to hang up.

Funny thing is that some aggressive bill collectors will hang up if you ask them to consent to being recorded.

Comment

Most States are one-party consent, meaning so long as one person knows they are being recorded then it's fair. Always check with your specific State laws. I live in one of only about 15 States that requires all parties to agree to be recorded.

This is why calling most business they have the disclaimer that they record all calls and if you don't want to be recorded, then to hang up.

Funny thing is that some aggressive bill collectors will hang up if you ask them to consent to being recorded.
                          That has been my experience as well. If I told them I was recording the phone call, they would either say something ridiculous like "I don't consent to being recorded so that is illegal" or they would often just hang up on me. If they say they don't consent, I say, "you called me in Arizona, a one party state, so hang up if you don't want to be recorded." They don't want to be recorded because they know they are going to be saying all sorts of things which might violate the FDCPA. I live in Arizona which is a one party recording state, so I don't have to tell them anyways, but I routinely tell them on the phone or in writing that they are going to be recorded. So they really can't say later that they had no idea I was recorded their call, if it ever came up in court.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X