Latest News on UI extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
    Try playing with the New York Times Budget Puzzle http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...s-graphic.html It allows you to choose from a list of spending cuts and tax increases that have been proposed to eliminate the deficit.

If you choose all military cuts and expiration of the bush tax cuts, plus a carbon tax which is the only energy related option, you eliminate the deficit in 2015, but not 2030. But, you can choose other things to get to a zero deficit in 2030. If you cap medicare growth to GDP growth plus 1% starting in 2013, you will be in the black in 2030.

Of course this doesn't address unemployment and since the tool is based on projections and assumptions, you really can't tell how accurate it is. But, it is an interesting exercise that helps you see the relative effectiveness of various proposed solutions.
    Yes, it was an interesting exercise Pretty easy "for me" to cut military and raise taxes to get rid of the deficit along with a few other tweaks.
    I have another simple answer to solve the health care crisis. Require a public option -- everyone should have the option of buying the exact same health care at the exact same price as Congress -- I guarantee you they would then find a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by msm859 View Post
      Yes, it was an interesting exercise Pretty easy "for me" to cut military and raise taxes to get rid of the deficit along with a few other tweaks.
      I have another simple answer to solve the health care crisis. Require a public option -- everyone should have the option of buying the exact same health care at the exact same price as Congress -- I guarantee you they would then find a solution.
      I'm with you all the way!
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Well it's settled then... I'm moving to Florida! I mean, what's an occasional gator in the backyard, really?

You really have done some nice number-crunchin' Justbroke.

My Docs all prefer cash too, but they're stuck in practices that aren't equipped to take it anymore. It's a total mess. I'd gladly pay cash out of pocket and absolutely believe you're right: self-insuring is the way to go for most of this stuff. :::sigh::: Denver definitely lacks "Senior Power." I guess it just goes to show how different things can be from one part of the country to another.
        OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peeps View Post
          Well it's settled then... I'm moving to Florida! I mean, what's an occasional gator in the backyard, really?

You really have done some nice number-crunchin' Justbroke.

My Docs all prefer cash too, but they're stuck in practices that aren't equipped to take it anymore. It's a total mess. I'd gladly pay cash out of pocket and absolutely believe you're right: self-insuring is the way to go for most of this stuff. :::sigh::: Denver definitely lacks "Senior Power." I guess it just goes to show how different things can be from one part of the country to another.
          Peeps...are you referring to Medicare or Medicaid?? (remember we CARE for the elderly and AID the poor)....

usually medicare is excepted by most all doctors through out the country....so i'm so sorry to hear you have problems with medicare acceptance...we aren't quite there as yet...and have excellent insurance do a legislative bill passed dealing with one of us accepting "early" retirement as a cost saving measure years ago. it was one of the smartest and scariest moves we made and now we come to realize one of the best...

let's take it one more step other than cutting
          military and raise taxes to get rid of the deficit
          not only slice that.......but cut congress and the house rep salaries....
          possibly look into a socialized structured health care system...........THROW ALL THE STONES YOU WANT...I HAVE BEEN IN EUROPE AND IT WORKS!
          go through each congressional area of spending and CUT the FAT out....some ideas were suggested during the bush administration but went NO where either.....i'm upping numbers and years.....but get it going....now...

Freezing non-defense discretionary spending through 2013
          Capping farm subsidies for wealthy farmers and businesses associated with the farming industries....(SMACK MY HAND!!!) i LOVE my local farmers...but no one is protected from these cuts..............
          Reducing the Medicaid growth rate to 7 percent, and of course HOW can be do that since everyone that's on unemployment will ALSO be on Medicaid
          Replacing the Medicare drug benefit with the drug cards....REMEMBER the state of a country's health is represented by the way they CARE for their elderly and HELP their poor.....(i know that's a personal view...but i just am tossing it out there because i want to).
          Reducing entitlement spending by 10 percent by targeting waste, fraud, and abuse.

now lets get back to unemployment????
          Last edited by tobee43; 11-22-2010, 05:52 AM.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Hey tobee, a little good news for me.

1. I opened bkforum using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer and now I can jump around the board and normal speed (remember my complaint all these months about it taking 30 seconds or longer to jump to each forum or each post???) - yeahhhhhhh

2. I got my final UI check and it says I am exhausted with this extension but eligible for another extension and it will be automatically filed for me. I am crossing my fingers that indeed another extension is coming and I am qualified.

I am still fighting for the 99rs and for continued extensions for unemployment benefits for everyone, including writing to the senators and congressmen. I am so pissed that the republicans are playing these games during the holidays. Even if everyone compromises, why put so many unemployed people through so much additional stress with their lives, especially during the holidays?

Plus every major economist and government agency is coming out in support of unemployment extensions saying for every dollar they give, $1.60 gets outputed to the economy. So not only is it the right thing to do to prevent families from losing their places to live, food for the unemployed families, doing the moral thing in this world (you know unimportant things like that), hey republicans, you can actually do something to help out the economy (you know that thing you have been running on saying you will help???).

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
              Plus every major economist and government agency is coming out in support of unemployment extensions saying for every dollar they give, $1.60 gets outputted to the economy. So not only is it the right thing to do to prevent families from losing their places to live, food for the unemployed families, doing the moral thing in this world (you know unimportant things like that), hey republicans, you can actually do something to help out the economy (you know that thing you have been running on saying you will help???).
              Good point about the immediate boost to the economy with extended UI benefits paid for by deficit spending. That is why the Republicans claim that the UI emergency extensions should be paid by taking money from other benefit programs is bad economics. If you take money from one needy group to give to another the net benefit to the economy is zero. And you can be sure the Republicans are not going to reduce overseas Defense spending to support needy unemployed Americans.

That is also why Pelosi put the first draft of the UI extension bill in the fast track, so no amendments could be added later. The normal track bill would have amendments added by the Republicans to pay for it by cutting some other programs - and the Democrats did not want to vote on amendments that would not provide help to the immediate economy. Remember Republican Senator Jim Bunning of KY tried the same BS in the Senate last summer, delaying the UI extensions for months. He was alone is his opposition then, and fortunately won't be returning to the Senate next year.

Emergency UI extensions during recessions have always been paid for with deficit spending for the last 60 years. There are good economic reasons why that is done. Too bad the tea party republicans flunked economics.
              Last edited by WhatMoney; 11-22-2010, 01:51 PM.
              “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Remember Republican Senator Jim Bunning of KY tried the same BS in the Senate last summer, delaying the UI extensions for months. He was alone is his opposition then, and fortunately won't be returning to the Senate next year.
                Whatmoney, I agree with what you wrote and remember that jerk senator and was so angry with him when he did this. I kept thinking to myself, "where is your heart?" Unless somebody personally goes through a lengthy unemployment situation, they have absolutely no clue what it feels like, the desperation, the hopelessness, the suffering. I had no clue during my 20+ years of employment what unemployed people were going through.

And that delay during the summer was the final straw that caused me to file for BK. I thought UI were going to run out for me and thought this is it, time for BK, I have no other options left anymore.

I can't imagine most intelligent people think that the unemployed want to be on unemployment, like it's living the high life. Going from having a good life or a decent life even, to living in poverty and despair is a terrible way to live. I usually say I wouldn't wish this experience on anybody, but I actually do wish this happens to those lawmakers that vote against unemployment extensions. Perhaps if they lost their jobs and had to watch their families suffer, then they would finally get it and change their tune.

Comment

And that delay during the summer was the final straw that caused me to file for BK. I thought UI were going to run out for me and thought this is it, time for BK, I have no other options left anymore.

Same here - although it was my wife's unemployment that ran out. I immediately concluded it was not in my families best interest to try to work something out with the credit card companies because all it would do is put us more in a financial precarious situation. Neither corporations or government cares about the average person. Republicorp isn't even really trying to hide it anymore.

Comment

Hey tobee, a little good news for me.

1. I opened bkforum using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer and now I can jump around the board and normal speed (remember my complaint all these months about it taking 30 seconds or longer to jump to each forum or each post???) - yeahhhhhhh

2. I got my final UI check and it says I am exhausted with this extension but eligible for another extension and it will be automatically filed for me. I am crossing my fingers that indeed another extension is coming and I am qualified.

I am still fighting for the 99rs and for continued extensions for unemployment benefits for everyone, including writing to the senators and congressmen. I am so pissed that the republicans are playing these games during the holidays. Even if everyone compromises, why put so many unemployed people through so much additional stress with their lives, especially during the holidays?

Plus every major economist and government agency is coming out in support of unemployment extensions saying for every dollar they give, $1.60 gets outputed to the economy. So not only is it the right thing to do to prevent families from losing their places to live, food for the unemployed families, doing the moral thing in this world (you know unimportant things like that), hey republicans, you can actually do something to help out the economy (you know that thing you have been running on saying you will help???).
                    helpme....yes, we got the same new as well........that since we were only at the 2nd tier we are still going to be collecting for another few weeks or so...

yes, i have been FINALLY hearing it in the news....like they didn't understand that those on unemployment are NOT putting the money in their mattress, but immediately rolling it over back into the economy.....duhhhhh...what is it with these people that just didn't get it.

anyway...i as well am hoping for those past their final tier will be able to get another extension, at least until some REAL jobs hit out there!
                    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Awesome news tobee. It seems like just as I hit rock bottom each time, some lifeline comes in at the very last minute to save me from falling off the cliff. Hopefully they can get the UI extension through during this period before we run out or get jobs.

I am watching a lot of dem congressmen, senators, etc. all rallying Obama to stand and fight for this instead of continuing to compromise (which isn't compromise when only one side is willing to compromise).

This extension can really make a difference between a happy holiday and a purely stressful holiday.

Comment

Awesome news tobee. It seems like just as I hit rock bottom each time, some lifeline comes in at the very last minute to save me from falling off the cliff. Hopefully they can get the UI extension through during this period before we run out or get jobs.

I am watching a lot of dem congressmen, senators, etc. all rallying Obama to stand and fight for this instead of continuing to compromise (which isn't compromise when only one side is willing to compromise).

This extension can really make a difference between a happy holiday and a purely stressful holiday.
                        it sure does helpme!!!! it just seems to all fall in to place some how or another...almost scary!!!

well;, with unemployment still 11.9% here, it's not likely we will be getting jobs anytime soon...however, we have plan "B"...which is now rapidly becoming our plant "A"! which is, we'll most likely start a small business of some sort. just enough to supplement or income. we don't need as much as we did when we were in the northeast in as much as living expenses or other costs...so it really seems to be working out well...hope the same for you helpme

Comment

tobee and others, I just got my latest claim form which I will be mailing on Sunday (covers 2 weeks). Within a week after this Sunday, I should receive a check and on the stub of the check will hopefully list how much if any I get on my extension balance. I am crossing my finger for some time, plus that congress and the senate pass this extension once and for all.

Comment

we have our fingers and toes crossed for you....

while traveling by car this holiday week...we just listened to the news the entire time...and one of the top issues was obama is going to have to deal with this situation really soon....i guess, most likely they will trade the 250k and over tax to feed the poor and unemployed.

and if anyone says go to work at walmart or burger king...i'll scream!

Comment

Things are so bad in my area that this summer my college aged son was turned away from McDonalds as they told him they are only hiring folks with degree's. OK give me a break this is flipping Mickey D's for goodness sake...ugh

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                              we have our fingers and toes crossed for you....

while traveling by car this holiday week...we just listened to the news the entire time...and one of the top issues was obama is going to have to deal with this situation really soon....i guess, most likely they will trade the 250k and over tax to feed the poor and unemployed.

and if anyone says go to work at walmart or burger king...i'll scream!
                              Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                                Things are so bad in my area that this summer my college aged son was turned away from McDonalds as they told him they are only hiring folks with degree's. OK give me a break this is flipping Mickey D's for goodness sake...ugh
                                LOL!! our degrees didn't even help us at walmart either!

well, the rationale of many is that we should accept jobs that pay us $6.00 an hour instead of collecting unemployment of 3x's that amount because it's a job....well..unfortunaltely we, personally, cannot pay our bills on $6.00 an hour....ok...another way to look at this is ...well...the unemployment insurance will run out and then what...so you are better off with the $6.00 an hour...NOW....well...no it just means if i take the $6.00 an hour job NOW...i'll be in the streets in a month or two as opposed to giving us a roof and food for payment another 3 to 4 months...it just buys us some more time...

are either the "answer" no....of course not...but what is one to do. that really is the question here.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X