No announcement yet.

Rising Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To save on heating, I put the thermostat down to 66 at night from 8pm to 5am. Then it heats the house to 70 from 5am to 9am when I leave for work. Then house goes back down to 66 from 9am to 3pm. Then back up to 70 from 3pm till 8pm.

This seems to have helped. I close the bedroom door and use space heater during the night.

Why keep the whole house warm if I'm only going to be in 1 room?

I live in a mobile home. Granted, it's also 2200 sq/ft, but it leaks like a sieve. Somedays, I can hear the wind whistling through the many cracks.

This winter though, I have put in alot of time and effort to make some winterization for the home. I've noticed some differences already and hope my efforts will continue to pay off. I am far from done with trying to plug holes!

Going into the crawlspace of my home is gross. It smells heavily of "earth" and I actually saw bones. I know raccoons have gotten underneath as I've heard thumping in the middle of the night. Some of the holes I've plugged so far were really huge. Even found an area where electrical cords were hanging down through the holes.

Good thing I'm a petite gal, otherwise, I'd not be able to get around underneath. As is, I have lay flat on my stomach and do the army crawl to move around.

One thing I learned is, if there's cardboard or trash, don't move it. Even though it was Feb and still freezing when I did this, gross bugs all come crawling/wiggling out! LOL ewwww... And of course, spiders on me. Ick.

You've all heard of insulation plastic sheeting for the inside of your windows. But I found some that are for the outside of your windows on sale/clearance at Walmart. I'm going to put them up next year and see if that helps more.

Comment

The average price for regular unleaded in my area is $3.10 not to bad when compared to many other cities!
      The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

I paid $3.35 today in downtown Sarasota.
        Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
        Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

The average price for regular unleaded in Maine this past weekend was $3.32
          The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

$3.49 gal for regular

Even at nearly 35 miles to the gallon, this is insane. If campus weren't so far away (40 miles round-trip), I'd get a bike or a moped.

Hmm..Maybe a cheap motorcycle.
            Filed Ch 7: 12/27/07
            341: 2/6/08
            Discharged: 4/11/08
            Finally closing: ???

Comment

I'm feeling pretty lucky, I guess. I'm in the Kansas City area and we were at $3.22 a couple days ago but now it's down to $3.15. I swear the companys decide to "overly" raise prices then drop it by about just a little bit a couple days later so that people think they're getting a bargain. My fuel light just went on this morning while taking the kids to school.
              ann

Comment

Here's what I heard yesterday....the truckers are p*ssed off w/gas...and R about to not drive....will keep you posted f/FL
                Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

I wouldn't blame them...diesel fuel prices have already reached the $4.00 mark in most states. I'm sure it costs truckers a few hundred dollars to gas up too.

Comment

I heard one trucker say it cost him $1200 to fill up his truck. I don't know what kind of MPG he gets but after the protest in Washington, he was going home and parking his truck. I hate to say it but maybe a trucker strike will get somebody's attention.
                    Filed Chap. 7 - 9/21/2007
                    341- 10/29/2007

Comment

Originally posted by millerc507 View Post
                      I heard one trucker say it cost him $1200 to fill up his truck. I don't know what kind of MPG he gets but after the protest in Washington, he was going home and parking his truck. I hate to say it but maybe a trucker strike will get somebody's attention.
                      Good grief!!! I wonder how this is affecting the likes of FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc

Comment

Originally posted by HRx View Post
                        Good grief!!! I wonder how this is affecting the likes of FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc
                        Paid $3.36 today in South Florida.

I don't know what FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. are doing but I'm sure they'll have to do something soon! On the lower level of the gas-dependent industries, Papa John's Pizza increased their delivery fee from $1.50 to $2.50. We found that out last Friday when we treated ourselves to pizza and two rented movies.
                        BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

$3.28 here today.

My furnace is set on 66 for 5 AM til 8:30AM, down to 59 from 8:30AM til 2:45PM, then back to 66 then at 10:30PM down to 55 and doesn't come back up to 66 til 5AM. I have winterized my old windows, window caulking removable in the summer. I caulked every inch of the outside between the old wood siding. I did everything I could to try and save on heating. Our house is over 100 yrs old, but we love it. It's not a huge house, about 1600 sq ft. it suits us alright. Yes it's cold in here most of the winter. We dress warm. My heat bills are still high. It's been a miserable winter. Cold and longgggggggggggg. Hopefully next winter after this BK is behind us we can run our heat a little higher. I tried space heaters, but then I had higher electric bills and are electric is already high. Our gas bill is over $1400 a year. We have gas water heater and furnace that's it. Our electric is $1600.00 a year. We are a family of 4. Utilities are killing us. We try to conserve, but how can you when utilities just keep getting approvals for higher rates?

DH has a diesel truck '93 chevy 3/4 ton. When he bought it diesel was cheaper that's why we thought it would be a good idea. Guess what diesel is higher then reg gas now. Actually he's having trouble with it right now, and we think it's cause he runs it so close to empty all the time. Too much dirt going into the filter. Truthfully I have total sympathy for truck drivers. No wonder everything is so high, gas prices are killing all of us.

Do you think if Bush is out of office things might get better? He really screwed things up. 8 yrs ago we were so much better off. I think alot of us were or is it my imagination? 8 yrs of Bush might take 80 yrs to recover from. Sorry Bush fans.
                          Last edited by justplaintired; 04-03-2008, 05:27 PM.
                          Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

$3.18 on an Army base in LA...in town, it's about $3.20
                            Filed CH7 - 10/13/05;
                            341 Meetings: 11/28/05, 3/20/06, 12/4/07 (3d time's a charm!)
                            Converted: 2/15/06 (to CH13), 10/15/07 (Back to CH7)
                            DISCHARGED: 2/15/08

Comment

Originally posted by justplaintired View Post
                              $3.28 here today.

My furnace is set on 66 for 5 AM til 8:30AM, down to 59 from 8:30AM til 2:45PM, then back to 66 then at 10:30PM down to 55 and doesn't come back up to 66 til 5AM. I have winterized my old windows, window caulking removable in the summer. I caulked every inch of the outside between the old wood siding. I did everything I could to try and save on heating. Our house is over 100 yrs old, but we love it. It's not a huge house, about 1600 sq ft. it suits us alright. Yes it's cold in here most of the winter. We dress warm. My heat bills are still high. It's been a miserable winter. Cold and longgggggggggggg. Hopefully next winter after this BK is behind us we can run our heat a little higher. I tried space heaters, but then I had higher electric bills and are electric is already high. Our gas bill is over $1400 a year. We have gas water heater and furnace that's it. Our electric is $1600.00 a year. We are a family of 4. Utilities are killing us. We try to conserve, but how can you when utilities just keep getting approvals for higher rates?

DH has a diesel truck '93 chevy 3/4 ton. When he bought it diesel was cheaper that's why we thought it would be a good idea. Guess what diesel is higher then reg gas now. Actually he's having trouble with it right now, and we think it's cause he runs it so close to empty all the time. Too much dirt going into the filter. Truthfully I have total sympathy for truck drivers. No wonder everything is so high, gas prices are killing all of us.

Do you think if Bush is out of office things might get better? He really screwed things up. 8 yrs ago we were so much better off. I think alot of us were or is it my imagination? 8 yrs of Bush might take 80 yrs to recover from. Sorry Bush fans.
                              I believe that whoever wins the election will have a heck of a time trying to UNdo the damage Bush has already done. In fact, I believe that whoever wins can't really do very much in the short-term, or even in the 4 years of his/her term. The damage is so great, so huge and so serious, that even with someone at the helm who is proactive and enlightened and smart, it may still take decades for Bush-era-fixes to become evident to the average American.

In my case, I live in a torrid climate that has been getting warmer and warmer each year. Air conditioning here is the norm. Up to now, because it's warm but not blazing hot, we've kept our windows open and used ceiling fans only. But now it's beginning to get really hot and humid, so we need to run our central a/c daily. We keep it at 76 during the evening and at night, and raise it to 82 when we are gone for the day. My cat doesn't seem to mind.
                              BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Originally posted by FLBK7 View Post
                                I believe that whoever wins the election will have a heck of a time trying to UNdo the damage Bush has already done. In fact, I believe that whoever wins can't really do very much in the short-term, or even in the 4 years of his/her term. The damage is so great, so huge and so serious, that even with someone at the helm who is proactive and enlightened and smart, it may still take decades for Bush-era-fixes to become evident to the average American.

In my case, I live in a torrid climate that has been getting warmer and warmer each year. Air conditioning here is the norm. Up to now, because it's warm but not blazing hot, we've kept our windows open and used ceiling fans only. But now it's beginning to get really hot and humid, so we need to run our central a/c daily. We keep it at 76 during the evening and at night, and raise it to 82 when we are gone for the day. My cat doesn't seem to mind.

That's good the cat doesn't mind. My pugs don't seem to care either. They just pile up on top of each other to sleep!

I totally agree with you. I believe a hundred years from now Bush will be viewed as the worse president in American history. I didn't vote for him either time and I'm very proud to say that! He scares the living daylights out of me and personally I can't wait to see him gone! Too bad others didn't see him for what he really was before they voted him in office, 1 time wasn't enough, no they had to vote him in Twice! Sorry again any Bush fans!
                                Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X