top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How helpful has this forum been for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I regret not having joined this forum or seeing if it existed back when we filed in April 2002. Other forums and boards existed but were (and still are) inhabited by long-term people on their soap boxes screaming fraud and stupidity. And they themsleves never filed; their purpose is to down and name call posters. Anyway, this forum is not like that - well monitored, many differing thoughts and experiences. Utilimately, the final opinion as to anyone and their finances is with their own attorney but this forum can keep people from making huge mistakes before they seek an attorney (i.e., keeping them from utilizing their 401(k) funds prior to filing because those funds are exempt if you file). Had we known that in 2001 we would not have utilized them to keep from eventually having to file. I think everyone does everything they can to avoid having to file but usually if you think you have to file you usually have to and the time does come.

I joined this forum just prior to receiving our discharge. My experience is successfully completing a 5 year Chapter 13 and the experience of being able to buy out early (at the 4 year mark) via refinancing with home equity. Our Plan was due to end April 2007 but we refinanced (finality of a 6 to 7 month ordeal to refinance) in April 2006. We also during that time purchased a brand new vehicle at 0% interest, 4 year loan and watched our credit scores rise rapidly since during our Plan we were not late witih anything and followed instructions and orders exactly, reported any extra income and an inheritance received, etc. We were also lucky to have an attorney who answered emails and phone calls and if not available had a fabulous paralegal always available to help or pass on questions.

The worst time for us was just prior to filing; having to deal with what do we do, all the phone calls and paperwork and the emotional roller coaster ride. I almost had a nervous breakdown trying to keep it together and stay normal in my busy job. And then we began to turn our lives around and start over and do things totally differant than in the past (lifesyle changes, eating out less, becoming budgeting masters, etc., etc.). We filed due to a major job loss of my husband from which he, to this day, has not recovered. It was a struggle to lose 70% of your income and not be able to replace it and without the safe haven of being able to file, we would have lost everything.

This forum allows one to give their experiences and also for new posters to read those experiences and find out what they can do to avoid problems or what to ask their attorney to also prevent problems. It's the best on the internet for anyone in bankruptcy, considering filing bankruptcy or after bankruptcy.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

This forum has really been a Godsend for me. I have literally read every post available in the forums here. Although every situation is unique, the kindness and honesty found in all of your posts is what has kept me sane. I really feel like everyone is watching each others back, giving encouragement, quelling fears and just offering some sound substantial advice. Thanks to all who share their posts, and thanks for the mods for putting up with us

Comment

Thank you BKforum

I never wanted to file BK. I realized I have to. Filing bankruptcy is not something to talk about with just anyone. Most of my friends and family don't know. Here in this forum, I found lots of information, and found lots of support. THANK YOU FORUM, THANK YOU MEMBERS.
        I am NOT an attorney, anything I say here is not a legal advice.

Comment

I'm very happy to see that a vast majority of our members find this forum very helpful.
          The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Joined the forum last week after finally realizing we were getting buried. In many ways it's almost like admitting defeat!
            However, I met a BK attorrney today and he said it can happen to anyone. Told me that Chapter 7 was viable and appropriate. I felt very comfortable in meeting him and quite relieved now.
            Big sigh of relief!!!!!

Thanks to all for the information. It does help to vent!!

Comment

I am so glad I found this forum. I have learn so much.

Comment

Our business went under...we had no choice but to file bankruptcy. If it wasn't for this site I would've been lost.

Thanks Everyone!
                May 5, 2008 - Filed Ch7
                June 13, 2008 - 341 Meeting
                August 12, 2008 - Last day for objections... August 18, 2008 - Discharged!
                August 26, 2008 - CASE CLOSED!

Comment

it definetly has been a big help. i made an apointment with an attorney cause i knew i just couldnt do it anymore. i was scared and ashamed, i thought the attorney might yell at me or something or ask how stupid i could be to accumulate all that debt. at least coming here i see that many other people are in the same situation and thats its not the end of the world. im still scared tho and have tons of anxiety.
                  retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                  10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                  09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

Finding this forum has helped me in so many ways. The support here is fantastic, I've gained so much valuable knowledge and its helped me to learn that I am not alone.

Its kinda like and AA meeting, only without the crappy coffee and having to stand up in front of a crowd and share

Comment

Oh this forum is the bomb!! Evryone is very nice, helpful, informative.

If I had known about this before I filed BK, wouldn't have hired my useless attorney.
                      Wasted $$$ I couldn't afford (is that tax deductable)??

Comment

This forum has been incredibly helpful to me, and I'm still a total newbie! In addition to all the great information, it's really helpful emotionally to see the wide range of situations that lead to bankruptcy. I'm still trying to deal with my own ingrained prejudices that BK is a lazy, irresponsible way out for people who are too stupid to manage their money. Seeing all these responsible, intelligent people discussing their own situations and experiences helps me feel like I'm not alone in this, and helps reinforce that just because I made some bad decisions, it doesn't make me a bad person.

Comment

Like many of us, IF ONLY I had found this forum sooner.

Comment

I've said it in many threads. I love this place and appreciate the support and education. 'Hub
                            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I have been researching and reading everyone's post for about a month now (since I realized BK was my only option). I just met with a lawyer on Wednesday and dropped off the questionnaire he wanted me to fill out this morning. He was very impressed with my knowledge of all the forms and means test... all of which I gained from lurking about here at the BKforum. He said I will be in for a bumpy ride (for a Chapter 7) since I am 2x the median income for FL. I am sure I will be posting more later with questions and venting! Thank you to everyone who has ever posted here at the forum.

Comment

Good luck to you Flaontherocks

This forum has been a godsend ! I was so distraught about the idea of filing BK until I found this place. Once I "educated" myself here somewhat I was ready for step 2, meeting with attorneys and when I found one I was relieved to file...Then I posted about the 341 and how it went and now I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting a discharge !! It's been a long road but because of this forum it hasn't been as bumpy as it would have been and I so appreciate a place where people support each other and don't tear down the already broken !!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X