Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think fear of divorce finances is causing the marriage rate to plummet?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think fear of divorce finances is causing the marriage rate to plummet?

This might be anecdotal, but it seems that a lot of articles on dating bemoan the fact that a lot of men don't want to get married because they fear the financial repercussions if the marriage ends up in a divorce. Indeed, it seems that a lot of BK situations have "went through a divorce" as one of the mitigating circumstances. Along these lines is also the big financial burden that having children brings; in an economy of low-wage work - or tenuous high-wage work - who wants to more mouths to feed?

I don't believe that's the case. Marriage seems to be a tool for the upper-middle class and rich. The tax benefits, especially when raising children and building a home, are enormous, despite the quick-to-divorce trends. Those that are high wage earners know the benefits of marriage, while marriage for those in poverty to the middle-middle class seem to be unknown. The rich think of marriage as a partnership to build something while those not in the upper earning scales, see marriage as a burden.

Building a family takes time and effort. There is one additional thing that marriage does that single couples don't readily deal with; you can't "easily" walk away from a marriage. Most that have been married for some time, and have established a family, will stay together for the sake of the marriage, but more so for the children.

At lease, that's my observation over the years. I may be what you could count as a high-wage earner. I see marriage as a partnership to build a family, create savings, purchase property, and hopefully pass something on to my offspring. Today, it seems that everyone is out for themselves.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13, discharged 5/10)
    Chapter 13 Filed (Pro Se) 5/14 (discharged 8/19)

Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X