top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do We Take The Mandatory Second BK13 Course To Earn A Final Discharge ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question How Do We Take The Mandatory Second BK13 Course To Earn A Final Discharge ?

Do we have to go through the attorney to take the second course so we will earn our discharge? Or can we just find a course ourselves?
    We have 18 payments to go and it has been pretty rough and looks pretty grim for the next sixteen months.
    I don't want to get cheated out of a discharge because we didn't take the course soon enough!
    Last edited by Barbisi; 08-14-2020, 07:15 PM.

At filing, we were urged by our lawyer to not put off taking the 2nd course.

We took it during month four prior to the supplemental application for attorney fees. Your attorney has to file the certification for the second course with the court. We took the course recommended by the attorney since those fees would be added into the plan even though it was only $25 for a couple. One less thing to pay for directly.

Comment

Hi..I agree you should ask your attorney..as I recall the place who had the course filed the completion notice with our attorney who in turn filed it with the court. Our attorney told us to take the course right after our confirmation.
      Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
      Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Thank you both for your replies!
        Yes, I thought it worked that way. Our lawyer has never mentioned the second course although we have been aware of it since the beginning of this.
        Now that I am even more certain that we have an especially adversarial trustee who seems determined to see us fail, it is all the more imperative that we get this done as soon as possible!

Comment

My attorney had me take the second course before my 341, but "just to be on the safe side", I took another one. I got online and found literally dozens of online courses which qualified; here's the one I took:
          Latent car nut.

Comment

Thanks shipo!
            I will look into that!

Comment

UPDATE : The lawyer informed us that we had already taken the second course back in May 2017. We honestly couldn't remember taking it, but he sent us evidence of it as a filed court document.
              So I guess that's one less hurdle to overcome at the end!

Comment

Sometimes things go ok 😊
                Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
                Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

That's great Barbisi! We took ours sometime after we filed and before the 341. We had to wait for a specific date to do it--but as you see it was still before 341 meeting. I kept an extra printed copy of proof we took it and have a digital copy also LOL! I know ours was filed, but still want a copy! I know you are going through rough times, but 18 months or less sounds so WONDERFUL!!!
                  I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Thank you Carmella !
                    I wish 18 months felt wonderful -not knowing for now,how much our payment will be raised is sorely disconcerting. Hopefully after this increase we'll only have to go through this one more time (next confirmation anniversary or at tax, salary increase/and or profit sharing time before April.) And then hopefully the trustee won't extend our BK13!

Comment

I never thought I would be glad not to get an increase in income or getting increases so small it's barely noticeable in the paycheck. I guess I can't complain at the moment for a having a job where we don't get raises. In the past I would get "market increases" in addition to the annual raise right now it's good my job market is not so great. +

I am more at risk for a pay cut than a raise at this time.
                      I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Carmella market increases... translation; we're paying you more so that you don't go shopping in the market! I didn't receive a raise for over 10 years. I'm now just receiving COLA raises pretty consistently (last 2 years) and it's a weird feeling.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Carmella, I will be crossing my finger you don't get a pay cut-that would be terrible!
                          jb,what's funny is my husband never got these market increases when he worked for fifteen long disappointing years for R. They offered profit sharing at a very small amount for a few years ending in 2012 or 2013 and then they laid him off in 2019.
                          We informed our attorney about the severance package and we used most of the extra money for medical and home repairs, nothing" too" fun! The reason we owed taxes is that R. simply did not with hold enough from these final checks. Luckily we also saved enough back for some of this years' many emergencies .
                          Don't forget LM almost laid him off in May of this year! Had that happened, we would now be facing a dismissal for non -payment to the trustee, instead of a dramatic BK13 payment increase!
                          This is why we can't count on this company to continue this practice of market increases beyond 2022 - they could just as easily lay him off next time instead of transferring him to a more suitable position just before termination. This 45 year -old house is starting to need major repairs and updates and the mortgage will continue to climb, so if we don't get out of here soon we will either end up in a heloc or foreclosure or even worse another five year BK13!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X