Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Previous Credit Card History After BK 7

Hello:

If I had 11 years as my oldest card before BK, will it erase those years on my credit report? One of my oldest credit cards that I was again given after BK said I was a member for 11 years, but my credit report says my oldest card was 2 years. Which one is right as far as an offical credit card history after BK?

Originally posted by Christopher View Post
    Hello:

If I had 11 years as my oldest card before BK, will it erase those years on my credit report? One of my oldest credit cards that I was again given after BK said I was a member for 11 years, but my credit report says my oldest card was 2 years. Which one is right as far as an offical credit card history after BK?
    Your credit report saying 2-years is correct, cards which say things like, "Member Since:" carry zero weight when it comes to the rules of credit reporting.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

The only way an old credit account could survive is if it a.) miraculously didn't get automatically closed by the creditor, or b.) the account was closed in good standing prior to the bankruptcy.

I do know that American Express used to backdate the opening date of an account for their members. This was especially useful if you were an Authorized User (AU) only and the account backdated to the original cardholder. Subsequent accounts would then also be backdated. I know that AMEX stopped that practice. Although they may put "Member Since 2001", the date on the credit report may not backdate to "original" membership.

I agree wish shipo. The correct number of years is 2 (or when you opened that post bankruptcy account).

(Yeah, I know. Bankruptcy can kill your average age of accounts (AAoA). I at least had one account "survive" deletion which gives me my oldest account reporting as 15 years old. Strangely, it's an AMEX account! I will not poke the bear.)
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post

Your credit report saying 2-years is correct, cards which say things like, "Member Since:" carry zero weight when it comes to the rules of credit reporting.
        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            The only way an old credit account could survive is if it a.) miraculously didn't get automatically closed by the creditor, or b.) the account was closed in good standing prior to the bankruptcy.

I do know that American Express used to backdate the opening date of an account for their members. This was especially useful if you were an Authorized User (AU) only and the account backdated to the original cardholder. Subsequent accounts would then also be backdated. I know that AMEX stopped that practice. Although they may put "Member Since 2001", the date on the credit report may not backdate to "original" membership.

I agree wish shipo. The correct number of years is 2 (or when you opened that post bankruptcy account).

(Yeah, I know. Bankruptcy can kill your average age of accounts (AAoA). I at least had one account "survive" deletion which gives me my oldest account reporting as 15 years old. Strangely, it's an AMEX account! I will not poke the bear.)
            Thank you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X