Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged today!!

I am literally crying with joy!! For the past two years, we have struggled to pay off my huge medical debts, over $300.000, which was reduced to $100.000. Hubby was laid off from his job of 17 years when his employer closed the doors. He worked temp jobs and was finally at a regular job but not eligible for insurance yet. I was working full time but no benefits. We thought we would be okay until he was eligible for insurance. I suddenly got very sick with severe cardiac issues and had to have surgery, to the tune of over $300.000. The hospital did reduce the bill down. Almost all of my medical bills went into collections. Some were okay to deal with, others were not. We did our best to keep up.

Then a year ago, we had to take custody of our two oldest grand kids. That put us in an even deeper financial bind. We finally decided to file bankruptcy when the biggest debt we owed was sent to a different collection agency that was notorious for taking people for every penny they could. It was not an easy decision but it had to be done.

I have been checking PACER for the past couple weeks. And today, 61 days after our 341 meeting, it is showing DISCHARGED!! Just waiting on closing. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders. Now we can take care of our grand kids and not struggle to provide the basics.

It has not been an easy journey. It was hard to make the payments to the lawyer and the final payment for the bankruptcy fees. But it is OVER!! I am so grateful that it is over. Hubby has a good job now with decent insurance coverage. I am getting social security disability and qualify for Medicare. Our grand kids get Tenn Care, thankfully. I hope and pray we never end up without insurance again.

Congratulations..wishing you a smoother life going forward
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Sherri6474 thank God you are released from your 100k burden !
      This is a perfect example how misfortune (job loss,huge medical bills ,etc.) can force someone into BK through no fault of their own - just bad luck!
      I'm really glad they didn't force you into a 13 and you found a way to save your house.
      Best of luck moving forward to you , your husband and grand children. May you have only good heath and bright things ahead!

Comment

It was a hard journey getting to where we are. I am so very grateful for a good attorney and his staff. I hope my health will stay where it is at and not get worse. Our grands are 10 and 13 and need us for quite a few more years and need a place to call home. It is small but happy.

Comment

Sherri6474 at least you guys have insurance now!
          I think your story reads like a nightmare and you really shouldn't be hit like that again. You deserve some really good luck!
          When I see some people complaining about a $190 doctor visit (and this after they just flew out to Cali to visit Disneyland for the umpteenth time and now they're vacationing at the Great Wolf Lodge (yet again!) in Colorado Springs ), I certainly see the injustice of this heath care system - those who have infinite financial resources complain ( but have no issues when they actually need care) while those who have no insurance have to remain silent and then they end up filing BK!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X