Biggest regret Chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest regret Chapter 13

Hello. What would you say is or was your biggest regret or mistake made when going through the Chapter 13 process both:before filing and during the process? Thanks!

Before? Spending down my retirement and running up $120K in credit card debt to try to save property. During the process? Nothing... the process worked for me and I discharged over $1.2MM in debt.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Not filing sooner! We treaded water for so long and it was so unnecessary. We also were very fortunate during the whole plan, though it didn't feel like it in the beginning. We got bumped to a 100% plan about 2 years in and had very little left over once all the bills were paid, but the pandemic hit (curbed any extraneous spending we were doing) and then my husband got a pretty significant promotion, giving us a lot more room to breathe. Both of our cars also made it through relatively unscathed. Now I'm doing the excruciating wait for our discharge so we can finally move on with our lives.

Comment

Before:
        • Not filing sooner
        • Not taking my attorney's advice and buying a new car prior to filing
        During (related to the second item above):
        • Needing to buy a newer car in my 4th year; my car by then was 16 years old with nearly 200,000 miles on it; the car was mechanically sound, but it just rusted away.
        After:
        • Not taking my time doing research on how to rebuild my credit and instead, applying for new credit too soon.
        Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Before? Spending down my retirement and running up $120K in credit card debt to try to save property. During the process? Nothing... the process worked for me and I discharged over $1.2MM in debt.
          Wow. That is great!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenurse View Post
            Not filing sooner! We treaded water for so long and it was so unnecessary. We also were very fortunate during the whole plan, though it didn't feel like it in the beginning. We got bumped to a 100% plan about 2 years in and had very little left over once all the bills were paid, but the pandemic hit (curbed any extraneous spending we were doing) and then my husband got a pretty significant promotion, giving us a lot more room to breathe. Both of our cars also made it through relatively unscathed. Now I'm doing the excruciating wait for our discharge so we can finally move on with our lives.
            I am glad to hear that everything worked out for you and your family. I hope you get your discharge soon and get a well deserve vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
              Before:
              • Not filing sooner
              • Not taking my attorney's advice and buying a new car prior to filing
              During (related to the second item above):
              • Needing to buy a newer car in my 4th year; my car by then was 16 years old with nearly 200,000 miles on it; the car was mechanically sound, but it just rusted away.
              After:
              • Not taking my time doing research on how to rebuild my credit and instead, applying for new credit too soon.
              I know I am just starting the process but what are some ways to rebuild credit? thanks Shipo!

Comment

Originally posted by Thingshappen View Post

I know I am just starting the process but what are some ways to rebuild credit? thanks Shipo!
                Here is a quick outline; once you wrap your brain around this, ask a bunch of questions as there are a number of us here in various stages of our rebuild.

The following is kind of a distillation of various bits of post-discharge advice (from my "do as I suggest, not as I did" department) I've helped other folks out with: Following your discharge: Wait 6 weeks and then get copies of all three of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com Go through those reports
                Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post

Here is a quick outline; once you wrap your brain around this, ask a bunch of questions as there are a number of us here in various stages of our rebuild.

https://www.bkforum.com/forum/after-...uilding-credit
                  Thank you Shipo!

Comment

Biggest pre- BK13 regret/ mistake? Still buying that awful, ugly 1963 fixer upper starter house in 2014 because without that ill-advised first home purchase, none of this bankruptcy would have been possible, IMHO!
                    Biggest regret/ mistake during BK13? Waiting until 2018 to get maximum 100% HSA coverage after the many, many medical bills I incurred in 2017. Otherwise, I feel we coped as best as we were able at the time, given the severe and spartan BK-13 lifestyle foisted upon us.

Comment

Not filing sooner: PROCRASTINATION

Not researching the BK process or finding this forum. Not thinking about searching for this forum! I would have loved to know the tips and maybe would have bought another car while we still had decent credit.
                      I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Taking out a second mortgage to pay off bills and then still ended up filing. I wish i would have just filed 9 months earlier and I would be almost done now.

Comment

Not filing sooner and digging a deeper hole.

Comment

Carmella, I will amend my response to include that we too should have bought at least one car prior to filing, but since the 2013 Sentra was only 4 years old when we filed, we very logically didn't foresee the massive repair bills we were about to experience, so we didn't try to replace my 2005 Sentra either at that time. Also, I wish we had found the forums much sooner as well - I think we would have been far better prepared for what lay ahead.
                            I still can't say we should have filed sooner: We weren't late on any regular bills or the mortgage; no creditors were hounding us, nor were we struggling to pay anybody - yet. Had we filed when my mother was still alive, we would have had to modify the confirmed plan when she passed away and worse, and what's far more morbid, we would have had to petition the court for a loan to pay for her cremation which cost around $1100 in 2016. She left no money behind nor any life insurance, so like so much else at that time, her final expenses were funded by credit card. (Imagine asking the trustee to allow us to borrow $1100 so my poor mother could be cremated! Talk about humiliation and shame.)
                            So, I just can't regret not filing sooner because of the timing of life events over which we had no control, nor could we expect to happen when they did.
                            We disliked the 1963 investor home so much; I don't know how we would have fared for five more years there had we not sold it after my mother died in the house in April 2016; so many bad memories there and we were so cramped by the outdated layout , the lack of space and the mediocre yard.
                            At least we really loved the large 1975 house -at first- with its pleasing porch, diner -style kitchen booth, and huge custom built-in office (all of which the investor buyer either gutted or modified), the shelved mantle and fireplace and relaxing fenced backyard. Of course, once the house started needing pricey repairs (e.g. a new furnace , a new swamp cooler, many small-medium plumbing issues,etc.) and we had no budget or credit to pay for what should have been done, all we could do was live like we were in a slumlord special until freed by the BK13 to sell to the waiting investor. And my worsening ankle issues and potentially crippling fall down the stairs in 2021 didn't help : I must now have a downstairs bedroom, full bathroom and closet ; I can no longer live safely where all bedrooms are on the second floor.
                            Perhaps everything went as it was meant to be : we survived and lived to one day thrive, LOL!

Comment

Had the worst lawyer ever at first who told me to stop paying my mortgage and he could get me in a CH7 vs CH13 only for him to later say"Oh your VA disability counts as income on the means test! Spent first 15 months with this Quack before hiring a real lawyer; still ended up in a Ch13 & payments were through the roof but one more payment & I'm done!!!

Research get a good lawyer; never give up!!!!

Sep 26th -Last payment due

October 2022 -FREEDOM FROM 5 LONG HARD NO $ Years!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X